Thursday, August 13, 2020

Vintage Thoughts

     The title of this post should give you a clue that there is a vintage creation being presented today but there's so much more to the story!  So pour yourself a cuppa or something cool if it's hot where you are, and settle in for a bit of a read.

     Unlike most really hip crafters, I'm rather new to browsing on PINterest, much preferring to be in the craft room than at the computer.  :-D  I do very little on social media sites other than FB things required by the DTs on which I serve.  I don't have any Instagram, Twitter, Flick'r, Tick Tock, or whatever accounts and I don't waste my rather budgeted creative time with any of those things.

     However, I did take a glance at PINterest when I was looking for photos of some particular flowers to figure out how I wanted to color an image of them.  Did you know if you use search terms which are too general you will get millions and millions of hits?  OK, you probably knew that but remember, I don't spend my time searching PINterest.  lol  Anyway, one link led to another and suddenly I found myself on a place called "Deviant Art" and found some rather lovely vintage photos of flowers, bouquets, and tussy mussies.

     Tucked in among them, for no apparent rhyme or reason, were several sepia toned, vintage photos of people.  I was dumbstruck to see one photo which I recognized instantly!  In the interests of giving full and appropriate 'credit' to whomever now has the 'rights' to it (on Deviant Art the photo was credited to "peterpicture,") I have no idea who or what they may be and am in no way associated with them, nor do I know how they got access to it or ownership of it.  BUT, the reason I recognized the photo is because it's one of my mother, taken at a professional photography studio when she was a few weeks away from turning 16!  As was the custom back in the 1920s, girls had professional photos taken at age 16 as a way of saying they were now "coming of age."

     My mother gave me this photo of her when I turned 16.  I kept it on my dresser for many years until it finally got relegated to the 'keepsakes' box when I was in my late 40s.  Interesting side note - I had grown up in the town where my mother had been born and raised, and had been told throughout my entire childhood how much I looked like my mother when she was ... insert whatever age I was at that time.  It never really impressed me all that much, partly because I was a child but also because I was the youngest sibling and my mother turned 42 the year I was born so looking at her at whatever age she was then, I really couldn't see the similarity.  But this photo of her at age 16 could have been me at 16 (aside from the obvious age of the photo)!  Edited to add: In response to Bunny's comment - I can't put my hands on any photos of myself at age 16, 17, 18, or anything close to it, else I would have put one up for comparison.  :-D

     So, after all that, let me share the photo by showing you what I did with it.  My oldest granddaughter asked me if I would turn the photo into something she could keep on her desk or mantle piece so I made a large, tent fold style card.  And yes, if she had that hairstyle and was dressed in vintage clothing, it would look a lot like her.  :-D


I started with one of the current sketches at


Photo printed and cut with Spellbinders die
Framed with CS embossed with "linen" EF
Background dp is a scrap
Sentiment cut with Sizzix/Tim Holtz die
    (cut twice from white and gray CS)
Card front framed with 1/16" strips of CS
Gray CS circles punched w/ hand punch

     Challenges:
Crafter's Castle
Crafty Caendar
Creative Fingers
Dragonfly Dreams
Outlawz Festive Fri
Penny's Paper-Crafty
Simon Says Stamp & Show
TTCRD
Word Art Weds

     I'm running way behind today but thanks for visiting and Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

16 comments:

Bunny said...

What a great story. I would love for you to have put up a side by side. It's lovely what you did too. Great creation.

I don't even have pinterest or Facebook as I know what time eaters they are. But Pinterest is almost pulling me in. [Bunny]

meg said...

I can't imagine how you felt when you saw a photo of your mum on pinterest

meg said...

Sorry published comment before I finished it,she was beautiful,love the keepsake you created for your granddaughter

Claire (Mrs H) said...

What a fabulous idea. I love what you have done with it
Claire Mrs H's Crafty Corner

Kathie said...

This is a lovely keepsake for your granddaughter. Love what you did with the Vintage photo and design papers. Your mother was very pretty and beautiful features. Great card and I know your granddaughter will love it, I would love to see this photo, a photo of you, your daughter and granddaughter all together it would be amazing. Thanks so much for joining us over at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 and good luck.
Hugs
Kathie SSW2~DT

Donna said...

Wow, Connie, what a great story! I'm not sure that I would recognize my mother at 16. I do have a picture of her wedding so maybe I would recognize her. I wonder how it got to where you found it. Simply amazing! Great keepsake for your granddaughter. Love it!

Chris said...

How amazing to find that lovely photograph of your mother on Pinterest. I wonder what were the chances of coming across it in that way. It's a beautiful photograph and the card you created for your granddaughter is a wonderful keepsake. Thank you for sharing your art and the story behind it at Crafty Calendar
Chris
x

*Vicki* said...

Absolutely stunning photo and what a wonderful keepsake to have for your dear GD as well! I love the way you've done the sentiment colors with it as well!! Really beautifully done my friend! Be careful with that computer! You can really go down a rabbit hole if you don't monitor your time! LOL!! With all of these different social media platforms, I really have to regulate my time for each! I may not be as "popular" as some others, but it can be fun! Thanks for sharing your stories! HUGS

Monica C. said...

What an amazing story! You must have caught your breath when you found it. Love what you did with the picture.
I make social media work for me and I do enjoy the interaction it affords. But one must be disciplined :-)
Hugs Monica

Jeanie Ellis - Scrapbookingmamaw said...

What a beautiful girl she was! And I love the fact you made it as a keepsake for your granddaughter! Beautiful card! Thank you so much for entering our Challenge at Crafter's Castle this week. Good luck!
Blessings, Jeanie Ellis DT
Crafter's Castle
crafterscastle.blogspot.com
Scrapbookingmamaw MyBlog

Karen Page said...

Whatever you do, if you value your the time you have off the computer and phone, stay off Instagram too! Oh my, what a beautiful rabbit hole it is! Pinterest is bad because despite the scroll bar indicating an end to your query it keeps tacking on pages and pages and pages so you never get to the "end" and if you are like me and need closure, it will keep you scrolling! I love the story behind this and I'm sure the eventually closed up shop, retired and passed away. The rights would have extended to whoever inherited or purchased the negatives, photos, and/or estate. So many old pictures are now public domain because there was no contract guaranteeing the rights to the photographer or because they expired when the photographer did! Sadly many of these older photos were never protected and can be used in any manner, which is sometimes disrespectful... usually in the case of famous people more than the unknown. But I often think of those holographic images at Halloween that are portraits at one angle and monsters at another, and wonder if those images were public domain or or if the manufacturer took staged photos to protect themselves from lawsuits. Love your use of the photo and I'm sure your granddaughter will appreciate it for years to come!

Ginny Maxam said...

Beautiful collage card, Thank you for entering in the Word Art Wednesday Challenge. Ginny M, DT

Doris Klein said...

OMG.. this is so beautiful!!! I love the sentiment and the romatic pic/image! Very very nice...

Thanks for playing along with our Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 and good luck!

Hugs and please come back soon!
Doris
*GDT* Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2
Kleido’s BastelStüble
*Owner* Do-Al(l) Kreatives
*List Manager* Challenges for Days

anne said...

What a fabulous story and beautiful photo and project. Thank you for sharing it with us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2 and for using our sketch in your creation.
Anne
SSW2 DT

Helen said...

A great creation - thanks for sharing it with us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge Blog.

Helen x

Suzanne H said...

What a wonderful story and such a lovely photo. And a terrific project you've made of it. Just beautiful!