Monday, August 6, 2018

The Family Christmas Letter

     Each year during the Christmas holidays, my mother used to write out (by hand and with carbon paper - bet most of you don't remember carbon paper) a long Christmas letter to family and friends, with updates on our nuclear family's activities and accomplishments which had taken place during the previous year.  It's a tradition which has been lost over time with the exception of one cousin who has lived in Australia for 45 years now.  Even he now sends out his Christmas letter via email.

     But this year, I'm going to revive the tradition and send real, live, postage-paid, letters to many friends and distant family members.  I decided since card making has become one of my favorite activities, and since many of the family members expect to get a card from me, I'd combine the two and send out letters inside a tri-fold, CS cover which will also serve as the envelope.

     I've made a dozen of these and have another half dozen to finish.


     I've actually made two versions of this and this one uses the 'negative' die cut.  The dies are Memory Box.  On the other style, I used the positive, that is, the actual die cut words.  I haven't photographed one of that style yet but the words are mounted onto a long rectangle of light red CS for a red and green combo.

     I used tiny, metal brads in the center and dimensional holly and berries.  The letter will be on regular 8.5" X 11" paper and it will tri-fold inside the cover, being stapled to it at the top.  I'll use a small Christmas sticker to hold the flap closed for mailing.

     Challenges:
Crafts Galore Encore
Creative Inspirations
Die Cuttin' Divas
Let's Craft & Create
Not Just Cards
Pammie's Inky Pinkies
Paper Nest Dolls
Scrappy Land
TTCRD

     Having finally started my Christmas cards last month, I'm staying with my commitment to make at least 1 Christmas card per week between now and the beginning of October and then I may have to increase that.  We'll see how it goes but this is the one for this week.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

13 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

Fantastic idea, Connie, and yes, I recall the days of carbon paper! In fact, I still have a box in case I need it for crafty things! LOL Guess it is time to be rid of it, since eons have gone by and it's not been opened. And remember the days when white out was used with a type writer and not crafts? hahaha

It's a wonder way of using the negative portion of your die cut! Family members will enjoy your newsy festive greetings. hugs, de

jimlynn said...

Great idea Connie and a cute way of doing the letters too. I like the idea of using both the positive and negative of that die cut too. We have one family member that still does the Christmas letters and it's always so nice to get it and see what's been going on in their life for the last year.

Lori Kobular said...

Love that there is no waste with your Merry Christmas die cuts! I remember those letters, but we never got that many any more, not even that many Christmas cards! Letter writing and sending cards seems to be a lost art these days, such a shame, I love saving cards that are sent to me, there is nothing like going back to re-read a card!

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous idea Connie, I am sure your family and friends will love the letters too. I do love this card today.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Such a lovely idea, I get a couple each year from "old" friends that we have no contact with other than these letters, it's good to catch up. LOVE the card you have done to send them.
Faith
x

Gina's Cards said...

What a wonderful idea! I love the design. Thank you for sharing with us at Creative Inspirations, good luck and I hope you will join us again!
Hugs
Gina xx

*Vicki* said...

That is such a wonderful idea Connie! I love that you are combining the two together and made with lots of love for your family which is the most important of all. Great idea to also get the double use from the dies by using the negitive. All of my cards have a special place to be displayed every Holiday. The handmade cards are the best! :) TFS! HUGS

Teresa Arsenault said...

What a lovely idea and your card is very elegant. hugs, Teresa

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation Nana Connie, fabulous idea! Thank you for sharing with us over at Let's Craft and Create. We hope to see you again.
~ DT Sherry x

Loose Stitches said...

Beautiful creation Nana Connie! Thank you for sharing with us over at Scrapy Land. Hope to see you again.
~ DT Sherry x

Rene said...

Brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Inspirations. Good luck!
Rene

Pam Tiedtke, or Pammie Lou said...

I love traditional and this is perfect! Thanks for joining us at PIP Challenges!
Hugs

Rose Andrew said...

Beautiful card . Thank you for joining us at The Paper Nest Dolls Challenge
Good Luck
Rose