Friday, August 3, 2018

Old Friends

     It's Friday so another weekly challenge is starting at QKR Stampede.  As always, we have an "Anything Goes" theme.

     When I was a young girl, I received my first Raggedy Ann doll.  She was precious and became my favorite right away.  Within a few months, I decided she needed a friend and begged for another rag doll to accompany her.  A second one arrived right around my birthday.  Over the next dozen or so years, I gathered up at least 6 more and each one of them was well loved, therefore also well worn.

     By the time they needed to be discarded (a heartbreaking occasion for me) I was old enough to have discovered quilting.  I can remember carefully removing their aprons and using that fabric in my first quilt.  I'm sure those memories have something to do with this card design, using "Girl Friends" (image) and "Best Antiques" (sentiment) from the QKR store.


     For coloring the image, I used a combination of ProMarkers and water colors.  I cut both the image and the frame with diamond dies from Spellbinders.  The frame piece was cut from a scrap of dp rescued from an ignominious death in the round file.

     I printed and cut the sentiment with another diamond die from that same set.  Instead of matting it, I just used a ProMarker to ink the edges.  The plaid background dp made me think of the apron fabric on one of my rag dolls so I decided it was the perfect choice for this card.

     I'm inspired now to use this image (printed onto plain white fabric) on a child's quilt.  Maybe I'll still be blogging by the time I get it done and I'll be able to share it with you.  On the other hand, quilting takes me a lot longer than it did when I was younger, so who knows?  :-D

     Challenges:
Aloha Friday
Aud Sentiments
Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper
Crafting with Friends
Creative Knockouts
Cute Card Thursday
Digistamps4Joy
Not Just Cards

      Hope we see you playing along this week.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

14 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

AW! what a lovely story, with lovely memories Connie, your card is so pretty.
Faith
x

Cheryl said...

Such a sweet card, NanaConnie! I have several quilts handmade by mom and others that I love. One day maybe I will learn to sew too, lol :)

Lori Kobular said...

Wow! What an awesome card! Who doesn't love Raggedy Ann! I love the story of how you made a quilt with their aprons, but where is the picture of the quilt?? I would love to see that too! I have made some quilts too, there is just something so beautiful about a homemade quilt!

Linda Simpson said...

Absolutely gorgeous, I love the image and wonderful design.
Hugs
Linda xxx

NanaConnie said...

Lori, My first quilt was given to a young girl more than 45 years ago and, at the time, I had no idea that photographing it would be a good idea. :-D

*Vicki* said...

Such a sweet image Connie! Really love your colors and especially your sweet memory from your childhood! I had a small Holly Hobby doll and grew up forgetting about it and then one day before my grandma passed years ago, someone pulled it out from her closet and gave it to me...broke out in tears completely and have it sitting on my shelf right now always remembering her and our times. Glad that you were able to make a keepsake from your childhood. DT hat time: Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Cute Card Thursday Challenges! HUGS, *Vicki* (DT)

Furrbster said...

Great card, lovely colouring and fabulous sentiment!


Thanks for playing along with our feminine challenge at Aud Sentiments,

Hugz Tinz

Liz said...

The image is just adorable and the background paper is just perfect. Lovely card. xx

jimlynn said...

So pretty and it's wonderful that it brings back all those memories too. I never had the Raggedy Ann doll so turned it around and made all the granddaughters one after they were born. What an undertaking that turned out to be - but they still love them.
Lynn

Donna Ellis said...

There certainly were a lot of endearing toys back in the day that are non existent now! Your darling dolls are beautifully colored on a fabulous card! xoxo

Sandy said...

Cute card. Thanks for sharing with us at Aud Sentiments.
Hugs, Sandy DT.

Julie Odil said...

this is just precious, Connie! Thanks for joining us this month at DigiStamps4Joy. Julie, DT member

Desire Fourie said...

Connie this is a beautiful creation with great attention to detail and perfect for our ‘ANYTHING GOES with add a SENTIMENT challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Digistamps4Joy DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Cards by Beckie said...

A lovely card with such a fab image. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Hazelnut's Patterned Paper. Rebecca x