Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Inlaid Die Cut Butterfly

     I'm experimenting again with inlaid die cuts.  That's the challenge theme from AAA Cards and I do like the way this turned out.


     All the dies I used this time are from Spellbinders and I just love the way they work together.  For the background, I nested together 4 dies from one of my framing sets and cut both light and dark turquoise CS, then alternated the colors.  These are not stacked layers -- the two colors are actually inlaid so that when it's finished, there's only one layer.  I did layer everything onto white CS but that was only for gluing purposes.  I trimmed away all but the tiniest border of white before applying that piece to the black card base.  The outside frame and the oval were both embossed by using the die again but this time with a rubber pad for embossing instead of cutting.

     Then I used two butterfly dies to cut butterflies from two shades of CS in the purple family.  I inlaid those the same way but left a couple of negative pieces of the lavender instead of inlaying the darker purple.  I just liked the look of it that way.

     The sentiment is hand stamped and die cut.  While it was still in the die, I drew around the inside of the die with purple ink.  After removing the die, I edged it with purple ink.  Finally, I added one of those bows which I make by the dozens and put pearls on the butterfly body.  I kept it very CAS, even though my "white" space is black on this card.  :-D

     Challenges:
613 Avenue Create
Artistic Inspirations
Craft-Dee BowZ
Crafting from the Heart
Craft Your Passion
Crafty Cardmakers
Dare 2B Artzy
Our Crafty Corner
Outlawz Twisted Thursday
Pile It On
Ribbon Girls
Scrapy Land

     We're halfway through the week and nearly half way through the year - can you believe that?  Next month is the turning point and we'll celebrate the longest day of the year here in the Northern Hemisphere, although the hottest days of summer will still be ahead of us so I'm not sure the days really feel all that much shorter.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

16 comments:

Crafts-by-Alison.blogspot.com said...

Connie pretty card love the colours and those dies are gorgeous. Love Alison xx

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Oh so very pretty! It's been long time since I've done an inlay...thanks for more great inspiration!

Donna Ellis said...

What a fabulous inlaid card, Connie! I have only done this technique one time - a long time ago before it became a technique - and it is so striking! Beautiful card, and such cheerful colors! The SB dies are all delightful with the staggered blues. I've not thought of staging a die cut set in that way - looks fabulous! Hope you are enjoying a wonderful week! hugs, de

Linda Simpson said...

Simply gorgeous Connie, love the design and pretty colours.
Hugs
Linda xxx

jimlynn said...

Connie, this is so lovely. Looks like it must have taken forever with all the inlaid pieces like that. Love the color combination.
Lynn

Jane said...

Fabulous inlaid die technique, so intricate. Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Shelly Schmidt said...

I am going to try this technique today- how fun! Lots of fun inspiration in the crafting world to use your stuff and make it all new again!

Coralynn Murray said...

Great card! I love your inlaid die cutting and how your did this with all the colours. Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

Barbara Bruder said...

Connie, what a lovely card. The dies you used are so pretty and give a beautiful design, I love the colors that you decided upon too. Thanks for joining us at the Craft-Dee BowZ challenge this month. Good luck and join us again soon. Hugs, Barbara

Angie said...

Thank you for joining us at Craft Your Passion Challenges.
I hope you can join us again.
Angie DT

Ceal said...

Beautiful card, I know that took some time but definitely paid off, it's gorgeous. thanks for sharing with us at AAA Cards!

Maikreations said...

Such a pretty card - and I love how the bright colours pop on the black card base! Thank you for joining our „Pearls or Gems“ challenge over at the Crafty Cardmakers ;o) Happy crafting,
Maike

Josephine said...

Love the die cuts!

Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers!

Dawn said...

Wow, this is amazing! I love the colours against the black, so striking!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Judy McKay said...

Very nice idea with the butterfly. Pretty. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers this week. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Helen said...

Lovely card!
Thanks for playing at Pile It On!
Helen x