Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beach Combing

     The beach is where I should be for the rest of the week since our temperatures are going to soar above 100 for the next 7 days.  They are actually predicting 4 of those days as being between 106 and 110 !  Unfortunately, I have commitments which will keep me in town and unable to go the the beach.  I should probably be committed.  lol

    At least I can share a beach combing card with one of those darling House Mouse images I love.


     I gave myself a bit of a personal challenge with this card.  I wanted to see if I could do a design with lots of layers but which still had an overall 'open' look.  I started with a background of kraft CS.  I die cut a forest green layer with one of my Cheery Lynn dies (bought months and months ago and used only once!) and then cut another with the same die using yellow CS.  I cut the yellow die cut in two and all of those layers went onto the card base.

     I colored the image with ProMarkers and watercolor pencils, and then used the die to cut just the edges so that no part of the two die cut layers below would be covered.  I printed the sentiment, fussy cut it, and then added a mat and fussy cut that before adding it to the bottom edge of the image.  If we count the card base and the sentiment, that's a total of seven layers!

     Finally, I die cut a butterfly (also Cheery Lynn), folded it in half, and added it to a top corner.  It's folded because I wanted a profile view of a butterfly instead of a top view.  Does that count as yet another layer?  :-D  I don't know about that but the die cuts certainly to give the card some great, even if simple, texture.

     Everything on the card, including the image and CS, came either from my hoarded stash or from scraps which have been in the "use someday" basket for waaaay too long.  I've done such a good job of using up things from my stash this month that it must be time to go shopping again, right?  Afterall, if I don't get new papers to cut, how will I ever have more scraps to use up?

     Challenges:
613 Avenue Create
Cheery Lynn Designs
Colour Your World
Crafting from the Heart
Craft Your Passion
House Mouse
Incy Wincy
Lil Patch of Crafty Friends
Outlawz Greetings
Penny Black & More

     And so the work week begins a day later than normal.  Hope your weekend was smashing and that you arrived at today rested, relaxed and refreshed.  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

14 comments:

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous Connie, loving the cute mice and beautiful die cut frame.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Have great time at beach. I plan to return late next week. I love House Mouse and I love the beach so this is a perfect card for me. I can tell you met your own challenge.

Ellibelle said...

Such a cute stamp and wonderful card.
Thanks so much for sharing with us this month at Penny Black and More!

Linby said...

I think you achieved what you set out to do in terms of open space, it's a great card and very effective.

Thanks for sharing it at Penny Black & More.
Lynnx
DT

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Well aren't you the clever one? to achieve exactly what you wanted too. A SUPER card, lvoe the image, the dies and the sentiment.
Faith
x

Unknown said...

Fantastic card! I wish I was at the beach too. Thanks so much for joining us at House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge.

Hugs,
Snoopy ​♥

Teresa Arsenault said...

Wow. What a fabulous scene. It must have taken you an age and a half to colour it so beautifully.
hugs,
Teresa

*Vicki* said...

Oh these meeces are just too stinkn' CUTE!! :P) I love the look of the layers with this which really frames your image in nicely!! Super fun Summer card! HUGS

Sue said...

What an amazing job you did coloring up this fun beach scene. And the card you created around it is awesome. The framing looks great too. Thanks for joining us for the House Mouse and Friends Monday Challenge and sharing your card with everyone.

Hugs
Sue

Bernardine Cuttino said...

Fabulous job in the layering. This is such a fun and refreshing scene. Today. I would totally enjoyed being on the beach just relaxing. Love the the die frame. Fantastic
Hugs
Berni

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! Gorgeous design, Connie! I am bowled over by your beautiful shading in this incredible work of art! The challenge you made for yourself to come up with many layers and yet only have a little bit of them showing through is very successful. Sorry you cannot join these mice at the beach, but your naughtiness is showing through that little crab reaching for the mouse's tail. Sending cool breezes your way, xxoo

evafromca said...

WOW....what a cute card...love House Mouse and this turned out sweet! Thanks so much for participating in the Cheery Lynn Designs Challenge this week and good luck.

coldwaters2 said...

Fantastic scene a brilliant card, thank you for joining our challenge at LPOCF
hugs
lorraine x

Pamela said...

Love House Mouse, this is gorgeous. Thank you for joining us at Crafting from the Heart.

Pam x