Saturday, November 23, 2019

Ice Skating

     Having grown up in an area where snow never falls and ice doesn't form on the ponds, any ice skating was done in a rink and the next town over actually had an ice rink.  I was probably 10 or 11 years old when I discovered a pair of ice skates in one of my Grammy's old trunks and had to try them on, just for curiosity sake.  They were a great fit, though a bit tight around the heel.  She had very narrow feet! 

     I clumped around in them for a couple of weeks and finally asked my mother if she would drive me over to the ice rink.  Forget that I'd never done anything other than roller skate and had no idea how to ice skate, nor that it was a 45 minute drive over to the next town - I was determined to go!

     She was a loving mother and saw how much I wanted to try my hand (my feet?  my rear end?) at ice skating so as my Christmas present that year, she managed to scrape up the funds for 3 ice skating lessons and faithfully drove me to the rink three different times for the lessons.  What I learned is that ice skating isn't roller skating, that ice is harder than it looks, and that the Olympic ice skaters who look so magnificent probably did nothing other than practice, practice, practice all day long!

      Fortunately for my backside, I quickly outgrew the skates as my feet increased in shoe size and Grammy's tiny skates had to be left behind.  However, this darling image (progressive challenge freebie) from Scrapper's Delights brought back all those wonderful memories.  :-D


Colored with ProMarkers
Aleene's Sparkle Snow added w/ palette knife (Adding snow this way gives such great texture!)
Cut with Memory Box die
Edges inked with ProMarker
Papers w/ spots and wavy stripes are scraps
Signature, hand-sewn bow w/ gem
Signature hand cut and edges inked

     Challenges:
As You Like It
Cardz TV
Colour Crazy
C.R.A.F.T.
Crafty Calendar
Crafty Catz
Creative Knockouts
Cute Card Thurs
Scrapper's Delights Progressive

      Have a great weekend.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

8 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

Cute ice skater, Connie! Such pretty blue coloring right down to the carefully applied blue detailing on your scallop circle! Thanks for sharing the story about your 3 ice skating lessons. Did you end up with heel blisters from the narrow heels? Did you wear shorts? Whenever we skated in Santa Monica, we wore shorts and crop tops! Happy Thanksgiving hugs,de

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous Connie and love the sweet Image. I too tried ice skating as loved watching the skaters who always looked so graceful skating on the ice. Needless to say I was not graceful and spent more time on my backside than on my feet.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Lori m said...

Beautiful story to go with your beautiful card. I'm the opposite and can not roller skate for beans. Winters my way meant frozen ice skating pond and yes....for years soar behinds. Thank you for sharing fond memories and a pretty card, hugs, Lori m

Chris said...

Sweet image and lovely design. I've never tried ice skating as I'm accident prone and possess two left feet...my daughter and SIL last tried it about 14 years ago, she slipped over and broke coccyx..needless to say she doesn't skate any more!!
Thanks for playing along at Crafty Catz this week
Chris
x

AndreaNorris said...

LOL!! None the worse for wear then NC :) She's a real beauty, love your card. Thanks for joining us at CRAFT Challenge this week.
Andrea x
GDT for CRAFT Challenge

Vic said...

Cute card - I love the image, and the little wavy lines along the top fit perfectly with the ice-skating theme. Thank-you for sharing your work with us at Colour Crazy Challenge - Vic, DT x

Mia said...

Lovely card, NC!!!
And with my DT hat on:
Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Crafty Calendar. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
Mia
craftartista.blogspot.com {My Blog}

Annette said...

Your little icy scene is lovely. Fab card.
Hugs
Annette - Netty's Cards
xx
Proud to design for :
Lili of the Valley,
Dies to Die For,
As You Like It Challenge.