Monday, June 5, 2017

Summer Geraniums

     I have to admit that geraniums are one of my favorite flowers to grow.  They're so easy and can be grown from a simple cutting.  Where I live, they grow and blossom nearly year 'round.  I was delighted to be able to use both the "Geranium Pot" and the "Greek Window" images from Ike's Art in our newest Ike's World challenge which begins today.  We have a delightful optional photo inspiration for you.

  Isn't that a gorgeous Greek scene?   I turned it into this:


I based this design on the sketch at Sweet Sketch Weds.
but I made everything more vertical because that better fit
the shapes of my window image and the
embossed brick background pieces.


     I started by printing out one window image and three geranium pot images, two the same size and one slightly smaller.  I colored the geranium pots and the window with my ProMarkers, then fussy cut everything.  It took some time to cut out the geraniums but it was worth it when I stacked them all together on dimensional dots for a fabulous 3D effect.

     Next, I took two scraps of CS, one gray and one deep burgundy, and ran them through my "Brick Wall" embossing folder.  I layered those together for the background, then added the image pieces and the printed sentiment.

     For the final embellishment, I added a hand tied bow with a glittered flower.  The design has lots of dimension but is still fairly simple and will mail easily.

     Challenges:
Aud Sentiments
Classic DT Open
Crafting by Designs
Crafting with an Attitude
Crafty Gals Corner
Inspiration Destination
Penny's Paper-Crafty
Southern Girls
Word Art Weds.

    I hope you're going to come and play along with us this fortnight.  Let your imagination run with whatever inspires you from that photo or just play using the "Anything Goes" theme which is there every time.  Don't forget that Ike always offers a freebie image which you can find on the challenge post and use if you wish.  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

12 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

How beautiful! I love the inspiration panel as well as your lovely card of geraniums, Connie. I had my mom's geraniums until last winter - she passed away in 1992, so they lived on my front porch from 1992 until 2016. The died just after my dad passed away last year. Isn't that something? The rest of my geraniums are red, and were store bought, and then propagated as you mentioned in your post. And yet, I must have successfully taken a piece off one of my mom's coral geraniums, because in my large pot of reds, is a tiny coral piece blooming away, just outside my craft room window! What a treasure! I like to marvel over the tiny miracles which may or may not be truly miraculous - they bless my heart anyway LOL The geraniums do not like hi-temp humidity, so they don't bloom very well from June until the end of Sept, then they begin setting buds again. LOVE the setting with the pretty greek window, and your fabulous color choices and embossing folders. wishing you a great week, Connie! xx

Penny Light/Light Whimsy said...

I love all the inspiration you used! The picture, the sketch and the colors. Your card is beautiful and will be a treat for anyone that receives it! Just beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing your great talent at Penny's Paper Crafty challenge!

Teresa Arsenault said...

What a beautiful card. I love the brick background pieces. hugs, Teresa

Kelly Schelske said...

Super card, love that brick wall embossing!

Thank you for playing along with us at Sweet Sketch Wednesday 2!

Hugs,
Kelly

ike said...

Ooooh - wonderful card. I love what you did with the geraniums and the brick wall backing is fabulous. Unfortunately, I am allergic to Geraniums.I have lots of them growing here but mine look a bit straggly just now since I have no-one to prune them. :-(
Thank you very much for making this little beauty for me at IWC.
Hugz
IKE xx

My Challenge Blog
My Shop
My Blog
FB Fan Page
Cat Lovers Challenge Blog


Keen Crafter's Hand Made Goodies said...

Gorgeous work well done Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

Michelle DT Co-Owner/Admin for http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

Annettes Hobby Rosettes said...

This is fabulous. Looks great and nice work.
Thank you for sharing with us over here at Classic Design Team Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
[Annette Registered Owner/Admin for Classic Design Team Challenge]

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! WOW Connie, what a Wonderful transformation into the wonderful card, Our geraniums are just about to flower, IF we get some sun, they may flower sooner rather than later, such beautiful flowers.
Faith
x

Rebecca Wong said...

Your card is amazing, love the idea and the inspiration behind the card, so lovely.
Thanks for sharing at Crafting with An Attitude Challenge, we hope to see you again.
Rebecca, DT

Michelle said...

This card is very lovely. This year I don't have geraniums but I also like them a lot.
Thanks for playing with us Inspiration Destination.
Good luck!! Michelle (DT)

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at Sweet Sketch Wednesday. Hope to see you again next time.

Glenda Atkins said...

Wonderful card with a lovely image, 'brick work' and a wee flower to finish it off :O)! Love it!
hugs
Glenda