Monday, October 1, 2018

Berry Pie Time

     Did you know that fall is really the time for berry pies?  I know most of you think that berry pie is a summer thing but since I used this marvelous "Berry" image on my DT card (theme is "Wings") for October SheepSki Designs challenge, I'll tell you the real story.

     Berry picking is definitely a summer activity but since those fresh, ripe, berries can only last so long, and since in my family we always picked more than we could possibly eat before they spoiled, we froze quarts and quarts of them.  When October rolled around and the weather finally was cool enough that we didn't care if the oven heated up the kitchen, we dug out a couple of quarts of those frozen berries and used them to make berry pies!  We could have berry pie throughout the fall and we usually used the last of them for a wonderful and unexpected Thanksgiving dessert.


     I colored the berry vine with my ProMarkers and added tiny spots and dots of highlighting with a gel pen.  The image was cut with a die from Spellbinders.  I printed and hand cut the sentiment, adding it to the bottom of the image piece.

     The bow is one of those I sew up by the dozens, only this time it has a tiny button on it instead of a pearl.  I 'dyed' it aubergine purple with a ProMarker.  My final touch was to add the 'Wings" and that's a machine embroidered butterfly.  It reminds me that we always saw butterflies when we were out picking berries even though they were pretty much all gone by the time we were eating berry pies.  :-D

     Challenges:
Art Impressions
Cardz TV
Creative Knockouts
Digi Choosday
Outlawz Festive Fri.
Polkadoodles
Southern Girls (dots on the berries and on the die cut)

     That does it for my First-of-the-Month DT posts and I may or may not have another post tomorrow.  My fingers are tired from all the typing and my brain is recuperating from all the creative juices flowing through it.  Can you get drunk on creative juices?  :-D  But I'll be back in a day or two, I promise.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

9 comments:

*Vicki* said...

Absolutely gorgeous image and design! Love that oval die you've used!! HUGS

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

AMAZING colouring Connie, I LOVE this card. I remember as a little girl taken out by my father to pick berries, I loved it and thanks for the memory.
Faith
x

AndreaNorris said...

Really amazing NC, love how you've coloured those berries they look beautiful. Think I'd better think about baking a pie now :D
Andrea x

Lori Kobular said...

Gorgeous card! I love the color combination on this beauty! What fun it must have been growing up in your family! I remember going one summer with my Mom to a local farm to pick blueberries and we had to freeze some of them too! It was a fun day! Thanks for the memory!

Gina's Cards said...

Such a beautiful card! Love your colouring and the berries are gorgeous. Thank you for playing along at Polkadoodles Crafting https://polkadoodle.blogspot.com/, good luck and I hope you will join us again.
Hugs
Gina xx

Linda Simpson said...

WOW this is gorgeous, they grapes look scrumptious and good enough to eat. Wonderful colouring my friend.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Crystal Schneider said...

Very beautiful card. Thank you for joining us at Art Impressions.

Tammy L said...

Its such a pretty card and I love the detail on the berries. Thanks for playing along with us at Southern Girls and hope to see you again.
Tammy DT

Ann-Marie said...

Mmmm berry pie is just the best, blackberry and apple is my favourite! Your card is gorgeous and your image coloured beautifully. Thank you for sharing your beautiful make with us over at Polkadoodles Challenge this week and hope you will join us again.
Take care,
Ann-Marie (DT)