Thursday, February 15, 2024

The First "First Lady"

      My apologies for this post being late but I've had a couple of days where I think my computer went on vacation!  In any case, I couldn't get onto the internet to add this post for the latest challenge over at FarmQuest.  Our theme this time is to take inspiration from a Martha Washington quote:  “I am again fairly settled down to the pleasant duties of an old fashioned Virginia house-keeper, steady as a clock, busy as a bee, and as cheerful as a cricket.” (1797, Martha Washington)

     Having visited the Mount Vernon home of George and Martha Washington many years ago, I took this quote very literally and created this card using a post card I had purchased while I was there.  The background paper came from my scrap basket.  I used baker's twine for the simple bow.  I searched online for a picture of Martha Washington, found the cameo, sized it to fit onto the card, printed it, and cut it out with scissors.


     Challenges:

     Again, my apologies for being late with this post but I hope you might still be inspired to come play along in our challenge.  It runs for two weeks and our next challenge begins on February 28.  See you there.

    Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

5 comments:

Becca Sadler, owner and manager of HQCB and FQCB said...

The heart of the home is the kitchen! Wonderful project!!! I've got some MV souvenirs, too, but they're in the garage attic. Thanks for showing us what Martha's kitchen environment was! --Becca

Linda Mc Enery said...

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable giving this card away, if it were me. Your postcard is a beautiful treasure, and as lovely as it is to have it made into a card, I'd want to keep it all to myself! Loved reading about your design choices. Thanks for sharing this with us at The Paper Shelter!
Linda

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a very inventive card Connie, Love how you have put this together, I think you matched the theme perfectly. x

Heike said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful card at Paperminutes
Heike DT

Anne Fenton said...


OmGosh your card is amazing, thanks for joining the OUtlawz Tue. Color challenge.