Friday, September 8, 2023

Arctic Christmas

      We're back from our summer break over at Crafty Catz and our latest challenge has started.  Our theme for this week is "Getting Ready for Christmas."  You can create anything Christmas related.  

     I chose this fun clip art image, printed it in gray scale, and then used water colors, white pencil, and white gel pen to color the image.  I started with dark blue water color paint, and did the entire night sky, after masking the moon and polar bears.  I used a light gray on the ground, adding highlights to the gray scale.  I used a darker gray water color to emphasize the leaf branches at the very bottom.  I let that dry completely, overnight, and under a heavy book.

     I found my polychromos pencils and added highlights to the polar bears, the trees, and the moon.  I added yellow and aqua pencil rings around the moon, getting lighter and less distinct the further away from the moon. I blended those rings with gamsol.  Finally, I grabbed a white gel pen and added bright highlights to the treetops, plus a few strokes on the bears, and to create the snowflakes/stars.  I added a bit of sparkle gel pen to the tree tops and snow but it doesn't show very well in the photo.

     The sentiment was printed using my Word program, setting the text in yellow and the background in deep blue.  Once printed, I cut it with a die from Avery Elle.  I wanted a completely CAS card so I added no embellishment of any kind.  I understand that if you are a purist who demands lots of 'white' space for CAS, you'll be disappointed in this card.  But I wanted the scene to be the main feature and that meant lots of night sky instead of lots of white space.  :-D


     Challenges:
Christmas Bingo (CAS/free/Hand color)

     Come play with us.  It's already a week into September and you need to get a start on your Christmas cards.  Remember last year when you swore to yourself not to wait until the last minute to get started?  Unh huh, I thought so.  Use our challenge as an inspiration and then enter your cards in our challenge.  :-D  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

14 comments:

Lori m said...

Gorgeous Christmas card, fabulous winter scene, hugs, Lori m

jimlynn said...

Beautiful card Connie!
Lynn

Becca S said...

Thank you so very much for participating with CBCB!!! The application of your choices from our Sept-Oct bingo card into your interpretation is masterful and has made a winter wonderland Christmas card!

Barb Finnical said...

Wow, this card is so beautiful and realistic. You can almost feel the cool air and see the light of the moon on a dark night. You've done an amazing job! Thanks so much for playing with us over at Christmas BINGO Challenges. We hope to see you again soon too! :)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! What a fabulous scene and card Connie, I love your gorgeous background and bears, with the lovely tree.
Faith x

Alyson Mayo said...

What a gorgeous scene - love the shades of blue! Thanks for sharing with us at HLS Christmas :)

*Vicki* said...

Wow Connie! That image is so amazing and your coloring turned so lovely with this! What a beautiful job you've done! Love how you've been having fun with your digital techniques! Sorry I'm late commenting...been a bit busy over my way! HUGS

chrissy xx said...

A Magical scene and I LOve your colours.
Chrissyxx

Toni said...

So serene and beautiful. Just a lovely holiday scene!

Paper Scissors Glitter said...

Pretty Christmas card Ginny. Thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations Jayne DT

Ilonka said...

Such a pretty card, thanks for sharing it with us at The Outlawz Twisted Thursday Challenge. Hugs Ilonka DT

Barbara Bruder said...

Connie, this is just stunning. Thanks for sharing.

foleysfriend said...

Beautiful card. I love the bears staring at the night sky. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers ~ Christmas Challenge.

sue n.

Becca S said...

Hello, dearie! Thanks for participating at Christmas Bingo during September 1-October 15. We would love to have you return when we reopen for competition on November 1. See your Bingo inspired card very soon! --Becca