Friday, January 1, 2021

Uphill vs Downhill

Happy New Year to All !     

     We're starting a new challenge today at 2 Crafty Critter Crazies and our theme is always Anything  Goes featuring a Critter.  Our fabulous sponsor this month is QKR Stampede and their challenge starts in three more hours so think about playing over there, too.  They supplied images for the entire team and I chose "Cross Country Skiing."  

     The image reminded me of the first (and only) time I tried cross country skiing.  It was very early on in a dating relationship with a fellow who loved cross country and wanted me to enjoy it also.  I rented skis and boots (not willing to invest in expensive equipment until I knew it would be something I enjoyed year after year) and we set off in search of suitable terrain covered with snow.  Keep in mind, this was in a state in the US where the only snow to be found was in the mountains which necessarily means the going is NOT going to be flat.  lol  In fact, every tiny snowdrift required uphill climbing to get over it.  

     After an hour of struggling with mostly uphill pushing and scooting, I was assured that the rest of the journey would be 'all downhill.'  RIIIGHT!  Two hours and four blisters later, with an ankle that swelled to the size of a football as soon as I took off the ill fitting boots, I was done with cross country and pretty much done with the gentleman who had introduced me to it!  He did survive several more dates but it ended when he just couldn't handle having animals around and I realized I preferred them to him anyway.  lol

     I'm using this for a Birthday card for a neighbor lady who turns 80 this month!


Colors taken from My Favorite Things.


Colored w ProMarkers
Glitter added to hat tassel
Cut w QuicKutz die
Paper from DCWV
Glittered snowflakes - Recollections

     I also want to tell you about a fun "challenge-yourself" idea being promoted by my blogging buddy, V.  It's called "Just Stash January" and it involves using nothing but things already in your stash throughout the entire month of January!  There are a few reasonable exceptions (all of which mean that no money has come out of your pocket) and you can read about those on the post.  Just click on the link and find out all about it, then start counting those coins and bills you'll be 'stashing' in your pocket this month instead of crying about even more charges on the credit cards after the holiday season.  :-D  Everything on this card came from the stash!

     Challenges:

     Come play with us this month.  You have until January 25 to get an entry posted (don't forget to feature a critter) and you could win some fantastic QKR Stampede images.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

8 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Loved your memory and your card, love the sentiment, you are so clever with those.
Happy New Year
Faith x

Suze said...

Great to hear how your experience of snow skiing is incorporated in your card. I've never done skiing - couldn't see the attraction in it.
The other challenge you mentioned sounds a good idea - I'm off to check it out.

meg said...

Love the stories you tell about memories that inspired your cards,fun tale and a great card

V @Passions&Distractions said...

I love the story! And the image is SUPER cute! I love how you colored and accented it! I’m so honored to be on the design team with you and doubly excited that you’re joining me for the Just Stash January Challenge! Happy New Year!

*Vicki* said...

This image is just darling and I love the wonderful personalized sentiment you've added to this as well! Gave me a chuckle reading your story here Connie! Great idea for a birthday card too!

Stacey said...

What a cute card. Thanks for playing along with us at Color It, Create It, Show It Off!

DT Stacey
www.butterflycreations.blog

Melissa said...

Great card. Thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles Challenge.

ILEANA ARTUFFO said...

Beautiful funny creation!
Thank-you for joining us at the Crafts Galore Encore Challenge January "ATG".
Sorry for the late comment.
Ileanaxx