Wednesday, November 27, 2019

The Dreaded "X" Day at 30 Days of Christmas

     Well, it's finally here - Day "X" at Beccy's Place 30 Days of Christmas.  I've been dreading this prompt all month long.  Having faced this prompt before in earlier years, I was pretty much stumped but still not wanting to do anything I've done before.  Then, day before yesterday, the idea of making the entire card an X shape popped into my head.  How to make that happen?  I chewed on that one for nearly 30 hours and this was the result.


The X was made by using one corner of a square die (Spellbinders) on the top and bottom of a tent fold card, and one point of a hexagon die (QuicKutz) on both sides of the card.  

Rocking chair image from Beccy's Place, colored with ProMarkers
Image cut with Die-namics die
Stitching is fauX, done w/ green gel ink (another "X"?)
Paper from Graphic 45

     There's a story behind the sentiment.  All during my growing up years, the last few evenings before Christmas and especially Christmas Eve were spent listening to Christmas stories read by my mom (or sometimes my Grammy) as we sat curled in blankets, attentive and awed by the magic of her voice reading the story.  On Christmas Eve, we had two great favorites which had been reserved for that night alone - The Night Before Christmas and the Christmas story from the Bible.  Over the years, those evenings became known as "The Christmas Read" and they went on through the early years of my children's lives.

     I do love traditional Christmas!

     Challenges:
ABC Christmas
Crafty Creations
Double D  (traditional)
House that Stamps Built
I {heart} ProMarkers
Simon Says Stamp
Word Art Weds

     Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

12 comments:

*Vicki* said...

There you go! X marks the spot!! I love your design and that image is perfect for Christmas and brings some memories for me with my boys! :) HUGS

karin said...

Great how you have made the X. A lovely digi you have used on your card and I love the story about your Christmas Eve.
Karin
Xxx

meg said...

Loved reading your Christmas memories,a beautiful card love the shape and image Had a look at the cards I missed while away a great selection of beauties

Suzanne H said...

What a wonderful memory! And a special prize goes to you for making your whole card and X. Just beautiful!

Beccy said...

That's a lovely story NC, and they sound like very happy memories for you. Holiday traditions are a wonderful way to link the generations in a family. Your card is fabulous and a wonderful tribute to your past. I'm impressed by the shape of your card base, I've never seen one like it. Well done for thinking so creatively!
Cheers,
Beccy

Elizabeth Hart said...

Love your creativity on this "X" card!! Thanks so very much for joining us this time at the Crafty Creations Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

Darlene said...

WOW great job Connie! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘ Christmas Style’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.
Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

Lynda said...

Great way to make this 'X' card, and great stitching detail on the red. Thank you for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge :) Lynda DT

Lisa Bird said...

I love your X card , great idea.
Thank you for joining us at I Love Promarkers Blog Challenge
Best Wishes Lisa xx
craftycard-designs.co.uk

Dorothy S said...

Great inspiration for the X! And a great card is the result. (I have quite a few letters left, so I feel justified in skipping the X and Z!)

Monica C. said...

What a great idea to make your card X shaped! I love that and I think it would work so well throughout the year.
Hugs Monica

Heather said...

Wow, I have never seen an X shaped card before; very creative of you! Such a sweet image and an even sweeter story to go along with it. Thanks for playing with The House That Stamps Built. (Sorry you had trouble with the linky.)