Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Great Beginning

     My New Year's Resolution was to get a blog up and running this year and it's only February!  HOORAY!! This is my first day blogging, and I want to share with you why my Blog is named "Grammy's Attic." 
     When I was a young child, I loved visiting my grandma.  She was always baking something in the kitchen, and always had a hug for us as soon as we walked in the door.  The grandkids' play area was the whole attic, up a narrow set of stairs that opened into a completely open space nearly as big as the whole house.  The two best places in the attic were the 'trunk corner' and the spot right over the kitchen where we could smell the cookies baking. 
     The 'trunk corner' is where Grammy stored all things old and wonderful: dress up clothes, hats, a hand mirror, an old phonograph complete with records, boxes of stationary, buttons and laces, keepsakes from her own childhood, hand carved toys, and photographs.  It was a delicious array of "goodies" -- there for touching, reading, seeing, trying on, or even smelling in the case of the old perfume bottles!
     Whenever I am in one of my 'crafty' modes, as I dig into my various stashes for just the right embellishment, I find myself thinking about those "attic days" of childhood.
     I want to share some of my projects with fellow enthusiasts, and I hope perhaps you can get a feel for the hours of joy spent in Grammy's Attic. 
     Here is a card I made for a sketch challenge over at Operation Write Home.  The image is from Sparkle 'n' Sprinkle.  It's colored with Copic markers and I used Oval and Scalloped Oval Spellbinder's dies.  The design paper and ribbon are from Gina K and they're just luscious! This card reminds me of the old hats that were in Grammy's attic.  :-)


      If you're not familiar with OWH (http://www.owhstarsandstamps.org/ ), they're a great organization that takes handmade cards sent to them by people just like us who love to make cards, and they send them to military folks who are away from home so that they can write a few lines and then mail the cards off to their loved-ones.  Since my eldest grandson serves in the Marine Corp., this is a cause near and dear to this old Nana's heart. 
     Hope you have yourself a grand day, and find a little bit of Grammy's Attic in your own memories.  :-)

2 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

What a BEAUTIFUL card, Connie! I'm so proud of you that your blog is up and running, that your photography is improving each time I see your cards, that your learned so very much on your computer! Your blog is in my favorite shades of lavender. Most of all, I enjoyed reading about your attic days. I could hear the laughter of children, and smell those yummy cookies! So in your next post, will you be sharing any of your grandmother's recipes?

Barbara Bruder said...

Great card. Loved the story of your grandmother.Pretty colors and I like the oval and the scallop together,looks so nice.