Sunday, March 15, 2015

Spring Garden is In !

   Red Boar F1 Indeterminate Round Tomato Seeds   Porcelain Doll F1 Pink Pumpkin Seeds  Eos F1 Cucumber Seeds

     No card today but those of you who follow my ramblings here know that I've been itching to get my raised beds planted but had to settle for seeds in peat pots because it decided to spit rain on us out here in otherwise-dry-and-drought-stricken California on the weekend I had managed to set aside for garden planting.

     Well, now we're suffering record high temperatures for March throughout most of the state and I decided that it was time to get the little peat pots into the raised beds.  Most of them have seedlings but tiny ones.  I went out early this morning to get at it before the temperatures rose to anywhere near the low 90s which are being predicted.  By the time I finished, it was both hot and humid.  Yuck!

     Everything is in now, and I've watered and weeded the few unwanted volunteers which have come up since my thorough weeding a couple of weeks ago when I was preparing the raised beds.  I'm just waiting for the pink pumpkin seeds from my daughter so that we can sell our small harvest of pink pumpkins in October to raise funds for Breast Cancer Awareness.  I think the seeds have been ordered (that's dear daughter's department) but they haven't arrived yet.

     I can hear all those of you who are still facing snow in your yards or flooding due to the rapid melt off -- you're groaning and saying bad things about the fact that I'm bragging on my garden.  Please, let me enjoy it while I can.  This summer, when it's 110 day after day after day, and I'm struggling to keep my garden even slightly damp so the plants don't wilt away, you'll get yours back.  You can then post comments about how your temps were in the high 70s and you were wondering if it was warm enough to head to the lake, river, beach, but that it was wonderful weather for a family picnic.  :-D

     Have a wonderful and safe weekend, whatever your weather.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

10 comments:

Benzi said...

Those luscious tomatoes caught my eye. I wish I had a place to plant some. Only my front yard gets enough sun. My son used to plant them on the south side of our house and they were big and delicious. Trees have grown and that spot is now too shady.

I didn't know there were pink pumpkins. Maybe I've seen them and didn't know that was was they were called. I do know about blue ones, though.

I'm happy you could get the peat pots in the raised beds. I'm sure it is hot and humid. We were supposed to be 69-70 today but noticed we have reached 75. You can't imagine how happy that makes me, especially since sunshine is included.

I hope you have a bumper crop of good veggies this year.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Mmmmm the tomatoes look delicious! My mouth is watering...... Our snow is all melted and it is 60 here today- we are not planting yet- our rule of thumb here is Mother's Day for planting- usually it does not freeze after that.....
I hope to put some tomatoes in planters too- good for you- enjoy the beautiful weather there before the heat sets in!

Teresa Arsenault said...

I'm so glad you are having a good time in your garden, Connie. And I won't say a word about the blizzard we are enduring today. :)
HUGS,
Teresa

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

I'm thrilled for you and also sorry for you that it is just March and you have such high temps. Tomorrow, I'm posting my first daffodil of the year in our new home. Our weather is very unpredictable. We will have low 80's tomorrow for several days and then it will dip to 50's by end of week. I fret during the month of late March and all of April due to frost. frost will kill our peach buds and strawberries. We can have freezing temps but we can't have frost.

Donna Hanley said...

I'm not complaining at all, I'm happy for you and hoping that we will be able to plant by Memorial Day. I do feel bad for you and your plants with those temps. YUCK! is right. I did not know there was such a thing as pink pumpkin seed but I'm very glad to hear it and I do wish you the best of luck selling those pumpkins next fall. It will be here before we know it. Connie I may be traveling and I hope to be able to be "connected" but in the event I'm not, I'm wishing you a very Happy Birthday Tuesday. I will be thinking of you as I dress in my totally green outfit. Enjoy

Asha said...

WOW! That what you have on your garden?! Hats off to you NC! No record highs here... we're struggling to hit 9ºC. And you don't want to know what's growing in my garden! LOL.
hugs Asha

Donna Ellis said...

Gosh, these weather extremes are going to mean lots of trouble for the farmers and ranchers, isn't it? Your container gardening is delightful! I do that with flowers. My husband's garden has lots of veggies growing, and we're doing everything possible to keep the bunnies out. The brussel sprouts planted last Sept are making quite well. We have squash, peppers, beans going so far. I love your pretties shared today! Our tomatoes never look like that - mostly because of our climate. Happy munching, Connie! xo

Linda Simpson said...

Oh my lucky you to have such wonderful warm weather. Here is the UK it isn't so pleasant. So happy you got your plants planted and managed to get it all done. Hubby has spent the weekend in the garden too.
Hugs
Linda xxxx

*Vicki* said...

Oh wow YUM!! Can't wait until we are able to get our first garden in our new house this year! It's warming up nicely now over our way!! Go ahead and brag away!! I enjoy seeing what everyone is up to in their back yards!! :) Thanks for sharing and happy gardening my friend!!

Faith A said...

Hubby has been seeing to his little patch too, love your photos they look so appetising. We have had a beautiful Spring day here in Wales.