Saturday, March 14, 2015

"Milestone" Congratulations

  OK, so this may not be a 'milestone' in the overall scope of things world-wide but for my 8 year old grandson, who was diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes 8 months ago, it's HUGE!  He has to take 4 insulin injections a day, each and every day (I shudder at the thought of that, being terribly phobic about needles, shots, and having blood drawn.)

     Getting him past his normal childhood fears of shots and up to the point of accepting the shots from mom or dad, and even occasionally a big sister, has been a long but successful process.  Kids can learn and adjust to anything, I guess -- better than we adults do.  But the really big news is that for the last two weeks, he's been giving himself the injections!  WOW!  I'm just so proud of him.

     When a little bird brought me that news, I decided that a congratulations card from Nana was in order.  As I was browsing through my collection of stamps and images, I found this fun and rather wonderful digi from A Day for Daisies and knew it would be perfect.  :-D

     I think it's time for me to admit that I've become totally addicted to digis.  My first instinct when I'm searching for an image is not to open the drawers of old rubber stamps but to go straight to the computer and 'dig' through the files of digis.  The storage space for digis is nominal (they're all on a flash drive) and I never get a blurred or partially missing image from too much or too little ink.  Besides which, there's the advantage of being able to make it whatever size I need for the space I want to fill.  Yep, I'm hooked.


    The image is gently colored with ProMarkers, and then I added a bit of Stickles to each flower and to the cat's eye.  I found the perfect ribbon from Really Reasonable Ribbon, matching both the bow I wanted to use and the color in the bird and flowers.  Talk about pulling everything together!   Really light on the embellishments for this card but, afterall, it is for a boy.

     Inside, I've written a personal message explaining what it was the birdie told me (that he's doing his own insulin injections) and how proud I am of him.  A little pat on the back for a rather large accomplishment.  :-D

     Challenges:
As You Like It
Cards in Envy
Chocolate, Coffee & Cards
Craft-Dee BowZ
Crafting with an Attitude
Crafty Gals Corner
Hanna & Friends
Inspiration Destination
Mema's
Party Time Tuesday
Penny's Paper-Crafty
Really Reasonable Ribbon
Scrapper's Delights
Simon Says Stamp (bird, bow, boy)
Sister Act
Through the Craft Room Door

     I'm so happy with the way this turned out.  I'm putting it in the mail even though my grandson and I live in the same town.  He loves being the one who checks the mail every day and it's even more exciting when there's something in the mailbox addressed to him.

     Now, one last thing -- my dear blogger buddy and friend, Lynn (CreativeCraftsbyLynn), posted the cutest birthday card complete with a darling feline on it (unusual for her since she's definitely a dog person despite allowing a "useless" -- her word -- cat to live with them) and I fell in love with the card!  Imagine how absolutely tickled I was when that very card showed up in my mailbox (translate -- HUGE SMILE!!) even though my birthday is still a couple of days away.  Thanks so much, Lynn.  You are a dear friend and the card is going to be framed and hung on my wall.  :-D  Here's a picture I took of her card:


     Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

39 comments:

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

Fabulous cards Ginny x

Anne Temple said...

Love your card for your grandson. That is a great accomplishemnt (I don't like needles either and not sure I could do that). Lynn's card to you is so cute and sweet. Happy birthday (a little early)!

Donna Ellis said...

Congratulations to your GS, Connie! My son was diagnosed at 12 and his daughter was diagnosed at less than 1 year old with Type 1, so it really is a hardship. The younger they are when diagnosed, usually the easier it is for them to adjust. He will love the darling card (the image is wonderful!).

Your 2nd card is darling, too! Cute little house and cat image! hugs, de

Donna Hanley said...

Oh what a great accomplishment for your grandson. He's a good boy to be able to get up the courage to give himself a shot everyday. Don't know if I could do it. Your card for him is precious and he will treasure it for years to come. I wish you didn't have to make that card for him but unfortunately not everyone can go through life completely healthy. We can just be happy that they can keep it under control with the shots.
As for your card from Lynn this is a total cutie. I always laugh at her description of her cat. Yes, your birthday is almost here. You are wearing green, right? I know you will. Enjoy the weekend. Does your celebration start this weekend or will you wait until the 17th?

*Vicki* said...

I would certainly be proud of my grandson too! :) Good for him (Bless his heart!) and what a nice card you have made for him! That image is adorable!

So nice of Lynn to create a kitty card to send to you too! :) HUGS

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

I too just love the versatility of digis. I am enjoying rubber sentiments but still do more of the digi in that too. For your grandson....awesome awesome awesome!!! I Have been feeling poor but better now and during my bad time I still thought of people so much worse off than me. What he's doing makes me proud and feel personally strong.

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

Oh...your card....very cute and that birdie on the tail is just too cute and you didn't use purple.

Teresa Arsenault said...

No wonder you are proud of your grandson. That is a huge accomplishment. I'm glad you did something special for him.

I send a lot of birthday cards to children in my church which I could hand deliver, but I choose to mail since I know that makes it more exciting for them.

How nice of Lynn to send you that birthday card. I can see why you like it so much. It is purrfect for you. :)

Hugs,
Teresa

Jackie Scott said...

Purrfect card for your 8 year old grandson. We do love to hear about all their accomplishments as they go through life, it does make us feel proud to be a part of it. Early Happy Birthday wishes to you!

Sassy Raggedy said...

This is a big accomplishment for your grandson I wish him only success with the diabetes. Your card for him is lovely. As is Lynn's card to you. Happy Birthday NC and I wish you much much happiness. Hugs, joann

Anet van Zyl said...

Adorable card. Thank you for playing along with our Challenge at Chocolate, Coffee & Cards. We would love to see you again ... Anet DT x

Jennifer Bradley said...

Great card and made for such a wonderful achievement . Your grandson is one very brave little boy. Thank you for joining in our challenge at Penny's Paper Crafty and hope to see you back again soon. Jennifer DT member x

Sandra said...

Such a lovely card! The cat with the little birdie is so cute! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Becca Cruger said...

Awww - this is so darling and I'm sure your grandson felt very proud to have a Nana original! :D What great progress for him! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Crafty Gals Corner!

Benzi said...

A perfect and very cute card for your grandson. He has certainly earned your congratulations. What a big boy he is giving himself the shots.
Oh, I remember that card Lynn made....just adorable and how sweet for her to send it to you, a huge cat lover.

Faith A said...

This is a super card for a SUPER lad, Bless him, it's a big thing to adjust to.

Love what you have done and he will be thrilled with it I'm sure.

Digis? I have been their greatest fan since the 1990's, love the versatility of them, I just hated the half stamped image I always had with rubber, so have got them ALL ready for a Boot Sale, when I can get up early enough to attend one LOL.

Linda Simpson said...

This is fabulous Connie, I love the gorgeous cat! I am not surprised about your love of digi's I have a fair few of them myself.
Hugs
Linda xxx

KraftyKoolKat said...

Well done to your very brave Grandson. He is a little trooper bless him. He will adore this card as much as I do.

I am with you, I think digis are great for the very same reasons as you.

Happy Birthday for when it arrives sweetie.
Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Amy Ottmers said...

Such cute cards, love those kittens!!! Thank you for joining us at Crafting with an Attitude, good luck!!! Amy DT

Pat (mspfd) said...

Happy Birthday a bit early! Your friend's card is just perfect for a cat lover...
The card for your grandson is gorgeous! Love how you colored the cat. How wonderful that your grandson has learned to give himself his insulin injections. That is huge! You deserve to be very proud of him.

Chasing the Dream said...

Your Grandson will love this when he opens the mail. This is one of my fave images from ADFD. Love how you just shade a little gives to much dimension. Have a fab rest of Sunday,
Hugs
Berni

Shelly Schmidt said...

Congrats to your grandson- love the Grad card you made for him- and the touch of color is perfect!
Lynns card is wonderful- how thoughtful of her : ) A perfect week for a Birthday too!

Amber Milone said...

Such a sweet colored and stamped card! I just love cats. Thanks for joining us at Really Reasonable Ribbon!

Susan Sieracki said...

Oh NanaConnie, this story is near and dear to my heart. What a terrific Nana you are to make this accomplishment of his so special. That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, and I was an adult. I can't even begin to imagine what a child feels. So, great big hugs to your grandson and to you for making him such an incredible card to mark of the occasion!

Asha said...

He sounds like a brave young man! You are one proud Nana... and quite rightly so! He's going to love that beautiful card.
hugs Asha

Deonna Bemish said...

Your kitty cards are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing it with us this week at TTCRD. Please join us again tomorrow with Another Anything goes challenge. Visit me at ialwayslovetomakecards.blogspot.com

Lesia Cook said...

Your story touched my heart. Good for you making this a special thing for him. Your card is darling and I am so glad you stopped by and shared with us at Mema's Crafts.

hoptownracer1 said...

Love your card, and what an adorable card your friend sent you! So brave of him to give himself his injections! That is awesome! :)

chanya13 said...

Fabulous creation with lovely colors and design. Thanks for sharing with us at Crafty Gals Corner Challenge. Agnieszka DT

Michelle said...

This is so lovely. Everything about it is sweet - thank you for joining us at Penny's Paper-Crafty this week and good luck - Michelle x

stempelmausi said...

A beautiful creation. Thanks for joining us at Hanna and Friends and I hope you get to join us again for our next challenge.

Swantje

Kim Kutie said...

Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge.

Kim said...

What a very cute and simple card. Love it. Thanks for participating in the challenge at Mema's Crafts.

Heather said...

Cute kitty card!!
Thank you for joining us at
Really Reasonable Ribbon!
Hugs
Heather

lalkygirl said...

what a fantastic card ...I bet your grandson will be thrilled to receive it..
It is marvellous how children cope with things much better than adults sometimes and your grandson sound like a fab resilient little chap...I am not surprised you are so proud....
Thanks for joining us at Craft-Dee Bowz and good luck
tracey x

Dawn Lancaster said...

:) LOve it!
D x

Annette said...

Love your card, and congrats to your grandson.
Hugs
Annette - Netty's Cards
xx
Proud to design for :
The Sugar Bowl Challenge,
Tiddly Inks
Without Words Challenge and
As You Like It Challenge.


Donna Idlet said...

Nice cards. Thanks for joining Mema's Crafts challenge.

Heidi Brawley said...

Congrats to your Grandson!!!!! Love your card to him!!!! The card you received is pretty Purrfect too!!! Love it when friends send cards you really admire on their blogs!!!!
Have a wonderful day doll!
hugs,Heidi