Thursday, December 4, 2014

Deck the Halls...

     Today I'm sharing my second card as a member of the Outlawz Twisted Thursday challenge.  While we always have a theme of "Anything Goes" we also have a twist if you want to use it and this week the Twist is "Christmas Magic."  Christmas magic happens for me when I get the tree up and start the decorating process.  I usually have Christmas music going so I can sing along with all the Christmas Carols I learned as a child.

     Speaking of which, I want to share one of those funny stories from childhood.  When I was very young and was first learning the carol "Deck the Halls,"  I'd never heard the word "deck" before.  When I inquired of my mother as to it's meaning, she explained that it had to do with decorating for Christmas.  That left me wondering why anyone would decorate just their hallways!?!  Throughout my childhood, I then assumed that "Deck" was an abbreviation of  "Deckorate" and misspelled that word many times before I learned that it was properly spelled without the 'K' - lol.

     OK, back to the challenge.  Anne's Digital Art (Anne Fenton) is the sponsor this month and I used her beautiful Christmas Ornaments image.


     The image is colored with ProMarkers, then die cut with a QuicKutz die and matted with another simple circle die from Spellbinders.  Once I got those layered together, I decided that the image was a bit lacking in 'magic' so I brushed glue and sprinkled loose glitter onto the ornaments.

     The sentiment is computer printed and die cut, and I inked the edges with distress ink.  The ribbon is from my stash (hoarded for Christmas use only) and the little red pearls are also a hoarded item.  I only have a few more in that deep red color and I hate using them!  I know, I know, why did I buy them if I wasn't going to use them?  :-D

     Challenges:
613 Avenue Create
Christmas Card
Corrosive Challenge
Craft-Dee Bowz
Craft Hoarders Anonymous
Digi Sketch
Fairytale Stamps
Fitztown
Get Creative
Hiding in My Craft Room
Jellypark Friends
Just Us Girls
Kit and Clowder
My Creative Moments
Paper Creator's Crafts
Pile It On
Scrapy Land
That Craft Place
Treasured Times
We Do Doobadoo

     After 3 years of drought we've had here in central California, we got rain yesterday -- nearly an inch.  Both south and north of where I live, there's been flash flooding and fears of slides because of the horrible fires last summer which stripped the vegetation and left the earth ripe for mudslides.  It's still raining in many areas of California today but we're clear and bright here where I live.  Our drought is nowhere near over -- we would have to have more than 27 inches of rain over the full winter and spring season to refill the ground water but at least it's a start.  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

34 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Very nice, festive card, Connie. Fun touch with the glitter on the ornaments. Even more than your card, I loved hearing your story. It is just precious. Have a great day.

Ema M said...

Gorgeous! Love all the sparkle. Thanks for sharing your fabulous project and joining our challenge at Fitztown Challenge Blog. Hope to see you again and good luck!
Ema
FCB CT Coordinator

jimlynn said...

You sure "decked" the halls with this card Connie!!! SO pretty and love the frame around that pretty image. Cute story about your childhood!
Yikes - I sure hope you don't get 27 more inches of rain - at least not all at once anyway.
Lynn

Donna Idlet said...

Nice card, love all the details. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Ellie said...

A beautiful card design, love the sparkle!
Thanks so much for playing in my Monday Morning Challenge!!

Linda Simpson said...

Beautiful Christmas card Connie, I do love the baubles and gorgeous red bow.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Avril Ann said...

Beautiful, NC, so festive, love all the glitter and gorgeous colours, hugs xxx

lost coast scrapper said...

Beautiful, love those ornaments! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous for this challenge!

Lori Kobular said...

Well your card is sure "decked" out for Christmas! I love the image you used and it looks so pretty on the Spellbinder die cut! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #7!

*Vicki* said...

The ornaments are so pretty with all of the sparkle NC!! Love the red ribbons too!! HUGS :)

Anne Temple said...

Beautifully done NC! Love the added glitter on the ornaments. Thanks for sharing it with us for the Scrapy Land Challenge.

Cheryl said...

Your ornaments and your whole card are just beautiful!
Thanks for joining us this week at Just Us Girls!

Teresa Arsenault said...

This is beautiful. I like your different treatment with the ribbon and that velvety bow is lovely. Great sparkle on the bauble too.
Hugs & smiles,
Teresa

Davi said...

Very pretty NC, love the way you did the ornaments!

Barbara Bruder said...

Hi Connie, Your card is beautiful and your ornaments are so festive. Thanks for joining us at the Craft-Dee BowZ challenge this month. Also, Craft-Dee BowZ is having our December Blog Hop. We’d love it if you can join in the hop. Leave comments on the DT posts to be eligible for the prize.

Sassy Raggedy said...

Hey Connie, I loved that story when you were little. I always look forward to them. Beautiful card and I am so sorry I am so far behind in posting. Hugs, joann

glendabrooks.blogspot.com said...

What a lovely card! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

JoAnn said...

Love your beautiful and sparkly ornaments. Great card.

sweet art designs said...

Love your use of repeating circles. Well done. Thank you for sharing with Fairytale Stampers - Myrna (GD)

Chris D. said...

Cute childhood story, and love the glittery ornaments on your card! Thanks for joining us at Just Us Girls!

Donna Ellis said...

Your ornaments are really pretty, Miss Connie! I especially like the shading - they look almost like snow globe baubles! I am also partial to your white christmas header LOL - great video in your side bar. Now for my other hat: Thanks for playing in the Scrapy Land Challenge using die cuts! I hope to see more of your pretty projects in the next challenge, too! hugs and blessings, de {Creative Smiles}

Shirley-Anne Barber said...

The best baubles I have seen Love their shimmer .Beautiful card . Thanks for sharing on Christmas Card Challenge Blog

Joanna Solecka said...

Lovely card, you can feel christmas spirit :) thank you for taking part in ScrapyLand challenge

Marsha J Reed said...

Beautiful Christmas ornaments, Connie! Thanks for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges.

Chasing the Dream said...

Deacon those halls with sparkle and glitter, so festive going for the holiday spirit. Fab composition and palette. Simply a beautiful card
Hugs

Laurian said...

Wonderful Project!

Thanks for joining us at the Digi Sketch challenge and I hope you come back soon!

Hugz

Laurian

Claire said...

Beautiful card, love it! Thanks for joining us at http://wedodoobadoo.blogspot.co.uk/
Claire xx

BethieJ said...

BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks for joining us last week at PIO!!
Have a GREAT day!

Patricia St Martin said...

Hi their!!! Just thought I would stop by. I seen your name on the challenge. You did such a wonderful job on your ornaments, they are so beautiful.Thank so much for joining us at Scapy Land challenge.
Fabulous ideas and inspiration.
Hugz from Wisconsin, Patricia
rubber stamping is my game blog


Gloria Stengel said...

I love how you colored the ornaments. So pretty! I live in no. San Diego county and we have had loads of rain, but not nearly enough to make up for the drought. I hope it rains all winter...but that we don't have floods. ;) Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

Marnie said...

Beautiful card and amazing coloring. Thank you so much for participating in the Treasured Times Challenge.

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Connie! Congrats for winning A Top Three over at the Scrapy Land challenge! hugs, de

Lynne said...

Beautiful ornaments Connie - I love all the added detail and wonderful coloring! Thanks for joining us at Get Creative and good luck!
Hugs,
Lynne, Get Creative DT

Jellypark Challenges said...

Absolutely gorgeous! thanks for sharing at Jellypark Challenges :o)