Sunday, November 2, 2014

Snowy Days

     OK, it's the season for Christmas cards now that Halloween is behind us and, despite the fact that I still have more than 50 Christmas cards in my stash, I'm going to be making some more over the next six weeks.  I made far more than I needed last year which is why I had so many left over for this year.  I guess I'll just have to donate more of them this year.  :-D

     In any case, I decided to use this darling snowman block from Bugaboo Stamps with a navy blue and red color combo.


I have to share the "Stella Says Sketch" I used
and then I'll tell about the "Ooops, this really IS a disaster" that happened.

http://api.ning.com/files/t08dki1KeXyKux639lxYRRlm5-52EVPI6DsuWOjkHXYPpKmdPREhmHGUR9-RuG1bhIYbg6huNXdZw8E4jcHR7e3gI*HyZaiW/SSS218.png

     I found the image (already colored with ProMarkers and sparkle gel ink) in my stash of colored images and decided it would be perfect.  (Yes, when card making creativity deserts me, I go on two or three day 'coloring binges.' then keep the colored images in a basket for future use.)

 
Close up showing the sparkle.

     I die cut and matted the image, then die cut a red oval from Tim Holtz Kraft Core CS and layered the image onto it.  I also die cut the fancy border strips from that same red and some navy blue CS (also Tim Holtz), intending to use them for the scalloped pieces in the sketch.

     So far, so good.  I'm about 5 minutes into this quick and easy CAS card at that point.  I used my favorite adhesive, the super-sticky Tear-iffic Tape from Sparkle n Sprinkle, to adhere the peices together.  I added two more strips of tape to the back of the bottom blue strip and carefully poised it over the card front.  At which point, my sweet feline, Honey, decided it was time to jump onto the craft desk for a quick visit, jogging my elbow and that's when disaster struck!  I dropped the die cut strips and they landed at the bottom of the card front.  Now, trust me when I tell you that the tape is soooo sticky, it doesn't 'unstick' without doing some damage to the pieces which are now bonded together for all eternity.

     I tried; I eased a craft knife between the card front and the strips but the front began to tear.  I tried again from the other end of the strips.  No better.  Finally, the best I could do was to straighten the strips to a horizontal position and use them to cover the damaged areas at the bottom of the card front.  Sigh.....  So, the image and the strips are in different positions than intended but if anyone asks, I'll just claim that it's my own personal take on the sketch.  lol

     OK, a different card than I had planned but I still managed to get a lovely card so not all  was lost. Apologies to Stella Says Sketch.

     Challenges:  (Again, a huge number with a similar theme -- mostly Christmas)
Brown Sugar
Catch the Bug
Christmas at Sweet Stampin'
Crafty Calendar
Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas
Delicious Doodles
Digistamps 4 Joy
Divas by Design
Kit and Clowder
Little Claire's
Paper Minutes
Passion for ProMarkers
Send a Smile 4 Kids
Sister Act
Treasured Times

     I may have another post this evening, depending on whether I get other things done in time to write up the post.  The dreaded HW is calling my name.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

27 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

Very lovely! Thanks for joining us over at Brown Sugar Challenge~

*Vicki* said...

This snowman is super sweet NC!! I love the blocks and fun festive colors! HUGS :)

KarinsArtScrap said...

what a sweet and lovely card
Thanks for join us at
{Digistamps4Joy DT Member}

Karin

jimlynn said...

We'll just have to call this a Connie and Honey card! Bless her heart I'm sure she was just needing some love.
Love the way the card turned out though and yes, it time again for the Christmas card marathon to hit. So cute with that Bugaboo image you used.
Lynn

Eileen said...

As they say disasters never happen, just happy accidents. No one would have ever known you had a problem. Really cute image love the sparkle and the sentiment is perfect. Thanks for joining in with our 'Add Some Sparkle' challenge at Passion for Promarkers this week, and good luck
Eileen x

aussie aNNie said...

Wonderful creation for our challenge...thanks for sharing...
Annie {Digistamps4Joy DT Member}

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

After all that was said and done, if you had not told me I would never had been the wiser. I hate when things like that happen...especially if there is a close deadline which is usually the case. I want to know the name of the sticky tape that is so bonding??? I've never had such tape and I need to get some.

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

After all that was said and done, if you had not told me I would never had been the wiser. I hate when things like that happen...especially if there is a close deadline which is usually the case. I want to know the name of the sticky tape that is so bonding??? I've never had such tape and I need to get some.

Susan Kennedy said...

This is fantastic!! LOVE the images.. Love the bit of sparkle!! Just GORGEOUS!!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Delicious Doodles!!! Good Luck! I hope we see you again!!

- Susan, DT Member @ Delicious Doodles
{Scrap A Thousand Words}
Open-Minded Crafting Fun Challenges

Mirella said...

Lovely card! Thanks so much for sharing and joining us at Divas by Design this week. Hugs, Mirella

Ella's Design said...

Great card, Connie, despite the 'happy accident!' Love the cute snowman image and simple design! Thanks for joining us this week at Passion for Promarkers! Lisa x

Dawn Lancaster said...

Lol! I love your card with Feline Design Twist! You can still tell it's the sketch & it's great!
Have you ever tried Dental floss for situations such as this?
As long as it hasn't been pressed down, just slide the floss in under a corner of the offending piece & slide it back & forth, working towards you! I've used it lots of times & although not always successful, it's worth a try!
Hugs
Dawn xxx

Lillian A said...

Saw your card on SAS4Kids and thought it was so cute for a child. Bugaboo does have some mighty cute images, don't they.
Thanks for sharing your project.

Chasing the Dream said...

You have been busy with these fab snowmen. Another beauty. so fun and cheery for the coming holidays.
Hugs

Chasing the Dream said...

Back with DT hat. So lovable and cute, beautiful design and fabulous coloring. Attractive card! Thanks for joining us at  
Digistamps4Joy.
Hugs Berni (DT)

Desire Fourie said...

This is a wonderful creation with great attention to detail and perfect for our ‘ANYTHING GOES’ challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Digistamps4Joy DT Member}
{Would love you to visit my blog and join my 1,000 Follower Give-Away. Thank you so much, if you have already entered, and good luck.}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Kathy said...

Connie, this is just so cute. Love your combo of die cuts. Hope you are doing well! Thank you for joining our anything goes challenge at Catch the Bug.

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous, gosh Connie, I have missed a couple of your posts, don't know how that happened!
Love the snowman.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Aunty Sue said...

such a fabulous make and so pleased you shared with us at Divas By Design this week with our anything goes challenge and good luck

Mari Kocjancic said...

Lovely card. Thanks for paying along with our Stella Says Sketch challenge.
-Mari K.
Bugaboo DT

Hazel said...

Thanks for entering your lovely crafting for CHNC challenge 201- you could also enter this into my CHNC challenge extra for November - I'd love to see it there too. x

Asha said...

LOL - got to love Santa's little helper! the card is lovely as is... as planned! Love that sentiment too.
hugs, Asha

THE BLUEBERRY BEAR said...

NC, your card is gorgeous - I love the white lack and red palette! Thanks so much for entering our Anything Goes challenge at Bugaboo Stamps. We hope you'll join us again soon, and wish you luck in tomorrow's draw.
luv'n huggz
Jen Leeflang
Bugaboo DT

Marilyn said...

Love this card! Bugaboo is always a fave and your colour combo is so striking.
Thank you for joining us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin’, good luck in the challenge and I hope you will be back again.
Marilyn

Sassy Raggedy said...

Ohh love Bug-a-boo....This is so adorable. Hugs, joann

Mari Kocjancic said...

Very nice, I love the little bit of sparkle that you added to it. Thanks for playing along at Catch the Bug this week.
-Mari K.
Bugaboo Stamps DT

Beverley said...

Gorgeous card. I love the image. Thanks for joining in our 'All About Christmas' challenge at Crafty Calendar this month.
Hugs
Bev x