Saturday, November 22, 2014

A Book of Mazes

     I've done a different kind of project for today's post, finally putting together an idea which has been bumbling around in my head for nearly a year.  Over at Doodle Pantry, there are several sets of Maze and Mini-Maze images.  I'll add photos of one or two of them at the bottom of this post or you can click on the link above to see them all.

     I wanted to put together a booklet of mazes, remembering that as a kid I loved puzzles of all kinds but mazes were some of my favorites.  How fun it would be to be able to use these maze images from Doodle Pantry to make a book that any child would enjoy.  Here's what I managed.


The entire book is made using sheets of colored card stock, cut to 6" x 11.5", and bound together in the middle using 1/4 inch wide, super sticky, double sided tape.  I scored the mid-point of each piece and used that score line to center the tape.


I added tape to the center of each page and layered them together, then folded the book on each side of the tape.  The photo above gives you a good view of how the tape line has made the book 'binding.'

I printed onto white CS the various mazes, then cut each one to fit onto one of the book pages.  I adhered them with double stick tape.  In order to keep the book from becoming too thick and unwieldy, I only put mazes on one side of each page.


I chose black CS for the outside layer so that the front and back of the book are differentiated from the colored CS sheets inside.  The front cover has a simple, computer print-out of the title and another maze, sized to be rather small.  The whole project took a bit over an hour.  If I was making several of them, I would do them in 'assembly-line' style, cutting all the pages at one time, printing all the maze images, taping all the pages, adding the images, etc.  The amount of time for completing each book would be significantly reduced that way.

     Challenges:   

     I hope your weekend is going well and that you're getting everything you need done in good time for the holiday celebrations.  I'll be mailing out Christmas cards the day after Thanksgiving this year, and then start the gift wrapping process.  Yes, my shopping is finished and I'm ready to start on the final preparations.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

Maze Backgrounds  Holiday Mini Mazes

13 comments:

jimlynn said...

Connie, this is really a fun and cute idea! Love your maze book. As a kid I loved those things too and so did my children! Fantastic!
Lynn

Teresa Arsenault said...

How cool is that! What a great idea for a small gift for a child that you can send in the mail.

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

What an ingenious idea! I can't wait till my grand daughter is older to enjoy such a fun, activity book!

Jackie Scott said...

What a wonderful idea NanaConnie. I know at least two little girls that would love these! Will have to get busy! Thanks!

Dawn Lancaster said...

What a fantastic idea! I bet someone will be thrlled with this! I would love it!
HUgs
Dawn xx

Zoe said...

Thank you so much for joining us this week at Not Just Cards Challenges Good luck and We hope you'll join us again soon.
Zoe x
Handmade with lots of Love

Donna Ellis said...

I love your mazes, Connie! I always enjoyed puzzles, too, and this will be perfect for children of any age! hugs, de

Linda Simpson said...

A brilliant idea Connie, used to love doing these as a child.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Anne Temple said...

This is so cute and so very creative! Great stocking stuffer too.

Bev said...

what a brilliant idea!! Thank you for taking the time to join in our CAS challenge over at Polkadoodles http://polkadoodle.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/week-46-clean-and-simple-polkadoodles.html

Judith Culham Elsdon said...

beautiful creation thank you for joining Get Creative challenge - good luck

Judith DT x

Sassy Raggedy said...

What a wonderful idea Connie. Now I wish my kids were young again so I could do them up some of these. lol Hugs, joann

Sharon said...

Great idea!! Fab make for kids. Thanks for sharing with us At Get Creative Challenges xx