Friday, August 22, 2014

"Seat of Knowledge"

     One of my favorite childhood memories comes from my mom, a grade school teacher for more than 35 years.  As we would be preparing for that first day of school each fall, she'd be combing my long hair into two braids and she'd say, "OK, off you go to find your 'Seat of Knowledge' for this year!"  It took me a couple of years to understand that she was referring to my seat in the classroom and when I figured that out, I was really tickled because it seemed such a fun thing to call my desk and chair.  :-D

     It also seems a perfect title for this Back to School card with an image from Lacy Sunshine called "Chrissy Crystalwhisk Fairy."


     For coloring the image, this time I used Copics with glitter gel ink added to her wings, then die cut the image with a die from Spellbinders.  The wrapped ribbon and the polka dot ribbon for the bow are both from my stash and that's all that was left over after doing another project (which you'll see at a later date.)  The lavender paper is also a scrap -- one of those that's too big to throw away but too small to be of much use for anything other than an A2 card.  Leaves are cut with a Cheery Lynn border die and the rose was in my stash, probably from Recollections. Finally, those tiny buttons were also in my stash, just begging to be used.

     Challenges:
Clear It Out
Crafting from the Heart
Crafty Cardmakers
Cutie Pie
Loves Rubber Stamps
MarkerPOP
Melonheadz Friends
Sweet Stamps

     I really love this card, mostly because I used my favorite color, purple!  But I think the fairy is adorable and it all brought back such sweet memories of my mom and my early school years.  :-D  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

25 comments:

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

You did a beautiful job on the image. I have yet to conquer her and now I have yours for inspiration. What a wonderful story. I taught high school for 33 years. I wish I had that quote for the first day of school for my students.

kReN said...

I love how you used that die cut frame. It was on my wish list but I have overspent (way over) so it will have to wait. Really sweet image!

kReN

kReN said...

What a funny image. Love it! TFS! kReN

Anne Temple said...

Adorable card and what a fun memory of your mom.

Benzi said...

A wonderful back to school card, Connie, and what a sweet memory to have while making your card.

Jane Savage said...

My favourite colour, Connie, just stunning! Your colouring is beautiful and I love the shine you've achieved on her hair!
Thank you for joining us at the Cutie Pie Challenge. Jane xx

Donna Ellis said...

Your studious fairy is the sweetest ever, Connie! Darling scene, and wonderful Copic coloring! How darling with her sweet little freckle face - I like especially how you used a portion of the fancy die cut in the background and bordered with the ribbon! Great design! xo

jimlynn said...

I've heard "seat of my pants" but never seat of knowledge! What a neat way to put it though - and it's true too!
Love this card. The image is colored beautifully and the way you used a portion of the die is so cool looking. Just beautiful!
Lynn

Linda Simpson said...

What a lovely memory and I haven't heard this before. Your card is gorgeous, lovely colours and beautiful image.
Hugs
Linda xxx

*Vicki* said...

What a fun memory NC!! Your card is so pretty especially with my favorite color as your main! :) Thanks for sharing! Hugs - *Vicki*
My Blog: Stamp Smiles

Lynn's Place said...

Wonderful project...TF joining us @ CIO hope you stop by again real soon.

Chasing the Dream said...

Hi NC. This is such a beautiful back to school beauty. Love your childhood story. This image is studious and ready to learn the ABC's. Beautifully colored. Oh in love with the frame and your design.
Saw the doc Tuesday. Took the cast off and put on boot. Yesterday at home, I fell and reinjured the foot. Good news, I had the boot on. Still swollen and a little painful.
Hugs
Berni

Teresa Arsenault said...

Darling design. Love the glittery wings.
Hugs,
Teresa

Blankina said...

What a sweet purple card have you made!!
A pleasure to see you play at Loves Rubberstamps, hope to see you soon,
Hugs Blankina

Suze Bain said...

This is so pretty. I love the colour and those sparkly wings. Thank you for joining in at Crafty Cardmakers and More. xx

Dawn Lancaster said...

Totally sweet card & an adorable image! I do so love purple too NanaC!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Glenda Atkins said...

You aced colouring this image,just so wonderfully coloured and love your design!
hugs
Glenda

chanya13 said...

Beautiful card, wonderful colour combo. Thanks for joining us at Clear It Out!!! I hope you get to join us again for our next challenge. Agnieszka

Joann Burton said...

Another wonderful card Connie. Love that sketch. Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

oh how pretty! I love the wings! Thanks for joining us at SweetStamps.com
Lisa

Holly AKA KopyKat said...

That's adorable, I love it. Thanks for playing with us over at Loves Rubberstamps!!!

Crafty Moone Cards said...

Beautiful card, thanks for joining us at Cutie Pie's. Sue x

Marcy said...

So adorable! Love the purple colors and cute image. Thanks so much for joining our challenge over at Loves Rubberstamps! :)

Lin said...

Gorgeous design. Your image is so cute and your colouring, particularly her hair, is fabulous.

Thanks for sharing in our World of Fantasy challenge.

Lin
Crafty Cardmakers and More

Sharla said...

What a lovely card! Love the purple and your design, and that image! I love any image with books/fairies and this has both! :)