Sunday, August 24, 2014

Birthday Presents from Friends

     Have you ever had a card that just tickled you so much when it was finished that you couldn't wait to share it?  Well, this is one of those for me.  To explain, I have to give you a little background.  I've spent most of my card making years trying to perfect a CAS style.  I'm just more comfortable with something a bit fancier, with more embellishment.  Not necessarily over the top vintage or shabby chic; maybe something more in the middle.  I can do CAS, but most of the time I end up comparing them to the ones my friend, Lynn (Creative Crafts by Lynn) does and they are never quite as polished or as clean.  I keep looking at mine and thinking they just need something more to actually make them feel 'finished.'  I'm never quite sure they are done or I fear they are 'overdone' and no longer CAS.

     Additionally, Lynn's favorite color is blue and she does some really incredible cards with blue and "something" color combos.  So, I was thinking of Lynn when I started on this card today because I had  decided on a blue and brown color combo.

     Now, the next piece of this card story is that the digis are both from Scribbles Designs where they are doing a special challenge in addition to their regular challenge and they are giving you your choice of a freebie digi from any of seven different ones.  All of them are animal digis, more dogs than cats (and we all know that I'm a crazy cat lady, right? -- well, sort of; actually I'm just an animal lover) and the digis are offered to help celebrate a sweet new Cocker Spaniel puppy who came to live with Lisa Sandy recently.  Click the Scribbles Designs link above to see them all.   Anyway, I chose the digi called "Dog Bone" just to show that I really do love all kinds of animals, not just cats.

     But as I was getting ready to print out Dog Bone, I saw Alley Cat (already in my Scribble Designs collection) and thought it would be fun to do a birthday card which used both of those images.  OK, all that long introduction to get to this point -- here's the finished card:


     Both digis are colored with ProMarkers.  Dog Bone is fussy cut and I added one of my little hand sewn bows to the spot where there's a dog tag in the image.  Alley cat was cut to fit the A2 card front and Dog Bone was popped up in front of him on dimensional dots.  When I printed the images, I sized them so that Dog Bone would be just slightly larger to look closer.  I printed the top sentiment and stamped the lower one, both directly onto the card front.

     Those of us who are animals lovers or "pet parents," as we are often called these days, will understand and appreciate the importance of being given an old bone or a fish skeleton by one of our fur babies.

     OK, back to my friend, Lynn, for a moment -- Lynn has a darling little Doxie dog named "Rambo" and a cat she says is lazy and worthless.  Of course, that wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that she talks about Rambo all the time on her blog, praising his cuteness, his intelligence, his playfulness, and his dedicated adoration of his humans, but she never even admits to being blessed by a feline, worthless or not!  We're going to have to teach Lynn that cats stop being useless when they are properly adored, worshiped, and honored.  Short of that, all you get from them are old fish skeletons!!  :-D

     Another thing, I've never heard Lynn admit to celebrating a birthday, nor do I know when her birthday celebration ought to be.  No month, no date, to say nothing about never admitting the year of her birth!   This despite the fact that we've been online blogging buddies for more than 3 years now, that we have served on more than one DT together, that we've shared secrets, and that we regularly visit and support each other's blogs.

     I think this would make a perfect birthday card for Lynn, but since I have no idea when that is, I'll never be able to mail it to her.  So, Lynn, whenever you celebrate your birthday, this is your card, my friend!  And it's the first one I've done that I feel is up to your level of CAS, even if it does have a lazy, worthless cat on it.  :-D

     Challenges:
4 Crafty Chicks
Bearly Mine
Crafty Ribbons
Digitally Sweet
Divas by Design
House That Stamps Built
Inky Impressions
Nutcrafters
Scribbles Designs
Seize the Birthday
Speedy Fox & Friends

     I know I've already posted once today but I just couldn't wait to share this.  Maybe you can pretend it's already Monday morning instead of still Sunday (at least where I am.)  :-D  Happy Stamping.   NanaConnie

29 comments:

  1. I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my face!!!!!! LOL!!!!! Too cute - not only the post but also that precious card! Love the little puppy and yes, that worthless cat too! I'm going to have to check out that site now.
    As far as Rambo goes - of course he's just darling........Sassy the cat......um......what can I say. She's sweet but sure doesn't give kisses like Rambo at all!
    As far as the birthday goes....let's just say I'm old! LOL!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sweetie. This card is so much fun and really made me smile. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Divas by Design.
    Hugs
    Cathy DT Member
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post and I will be off to look at your friends blog. Your card is CAS and just super wonderful, well done my friend! I personally am terrible at CAS so I just love to see other peoples fabulous work!
    hugs
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow my friend! You've done a fabulous job with the CAS style here!! I love it and glad that you could finally share it too! :) Those images are just too doggone CUTE!! I myself am really drawn to the CAS style too!! We'll both keep playing with it together! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! This is as cute as can be. Love how you combined both images together. I always forget that Lynn has a cat. Fabulous birthday card for any animal lover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite colour combination is blue and brown and this is a gorgeous card. To finish it off with your cute bows is fabulous!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great pair to put together, very clever, love it. Great colouring too. That little bow on the dog is a fab extra.

    Thank you for joining us at Digitally Sweet Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! I love your tale & your card NanaC. Delighted to see Lynn loves it too!
    Great work my friend!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute card. Thanks for joining us at Divas. Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.loving your CAS card.I think your style and layout are lovely and please don't ever think your creations aren't good enough as I think your cards are fab.Thanks for joining in with us over at Nutcrafters.Hugs Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. So funny Connie. Your card is awesome and I am sure Lynn will agree. Hugs, joann sassy raggedy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, Connie, and it really does remind me of a Lynn card....so CAS, so clean.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really cool. Love how you outlined the critters in darker colours. The puppy just pops off the page.
    Hugs,
    TEresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute and I love that added bow! nice creation! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely adorable! What a fabulous and fun design. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute card. Love what you did, making the doggy appear larger/closer. A great card for any animal lover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling little pet images Good job ., thanks for playing .....Lis MFP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous card! ... I loved how you used the Dog Bone image of the Pitter Patter images with Alley Cat...I think it will make a great card for Lynn too...

    Thanks for joining us at Scribbles Designs Pitter Patter challenge...

    Sandy S (Owner/Designer Scribbles Designs)

    LOL and I'm sure Lisa would love our little Charli, she's offered to take him anytime ... LOL he lives with us 3500km across the country... LOL :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry I mixed that up, Sandy. I'll offer to babysit Charli any time, too. Charli would love my feline fur babies. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL I'm sure Charli would love to visit with your felines.... No worries about the mix up...

    Your card is fabulous too for the Animal Planet challenge at Scribbles Designs... :) :)

    Thank you for joining us at Scribbles Designs...

    Sandy S
    (Owner/Designer)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those little critters are so cute. Thanks for joining speedy fox and friends

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cute card...made me laugh...the dog thought to bring the cat a dog bone for a gift...!!Thank you for sharing it at Seize the Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable critters!!!! I am kitty lover at heart but there are a few dogs that win my heart and this one sure looks like he could do the trick!!! I love his blue bow!!! Very cute card! Thanks for playing along with Speedy Fox & Friends Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, NC! Love the cute little critters you put on your card. Now putting on my DT hat: Thanks so much for joining us this week. Good luck and hope to see you on the next challenge.

    MFP/SpeedyTV DT
    kReN @ http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

    Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/marksfinestpapersaheinrichco

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super fun card! Thank you for joining us at Digitally Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol! This would be the perfect card for me in my house. Love this! Thanks for joining us at Digitally Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super cool!



    Thank you for playing along with our Pitter Patter of little Paws at Scribbles!
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  28. ahhhh this is soooo adorable! Just love how you have combined both image! You really rocked this card. So glad you entered both challenges over at Scribbles challenge didn't come here with a DT hat on but will thank you right now!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh wow Connie. What a wonderful post. I too struggle with the whole CAS thing. Exactly like you, I feel it isn't done enough or possibly over done. But this card definitely turned out to have a great CAS feel. I love that you kept the images the focal point. Great idea with working perspective into it as well.

    Thank you so much for participating in our special Pitter Patter of Little Paws challenge and I am glad to see that you also linked up to the Animal Planet challenge as well. Good luck in both draws!

    Lisa D., SD DT

    ps. Yes, someone definitely needs to teach your friend the worthiness of felines. She doesn't know what she is missing!

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment and I so much appreciate the encouragement you give me. Thank you for taking the time to comment.