Thursday, August 14, 2014

Be Still...

     OK, I did get one more card done but only because it's a commission and it had to be done before I left.  I had an e-mail asking if I could make a card for a family who will be "celebrating the life" of a favorite aunt/great-aunt who passed away at the age of 98!  I wrote back and asked that each family member give me one sentence they thought best described her, who she was, or what she loved.

     Here are the answers from which I worked:
           "She loved old Victorian hats with feathers."
           "Purple was her favorite color." (Mine, too, so that part was easy.)
           "Psalm 46:10 was her favorite Bible verse and she stitched it in needlepoint three different times over her life time."
           "She always smelled like lilacs."
           "She had a heart bigger than Australia and loved everyone."

     She sounds like my kind of lady.  :-D  I knew I had seen the scripture from Psalms 46:10 just recently and I went on a search for it.  I found it as a freebie back a few weeks at the Word Art Wednesday challenge.  Thank you, ladies.  Here's the card in it's simplest design.


     The lace was a left-over scrap from some I bought at Joann.com.  The card front is embossed with a Swiss Dot folder from Cuttlebug.  The feathers were in my stash and the pearls were in the gem basket, just waiting to be added to the lace.  Another clean and simple design that just looks complex and fancy.

     Challenges:
A Gem of a Challenge
Allsorts
Di's Digi Designs
Hiding in My Craftroom
Outlawz CAS
Penny's Paper-Crafty
Simply Create Too
Sister Act
Sisterhood of Crafters
Speedy Fox & Friends
Stamping Boutique

     Another quick post but I have to get ready for my trip tomorrow and doing this card took two hours out of my day which I hadn't planned (most of that time was spent searching for the scripture.)   I still have to get to the post office so that I can get this sent off to the lady who asked me to do it.  I hope she and the family enjoy it.  I won't be back online until Monday or Tuesday and won't even be checking e-mail until then.  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

24 comments:

Dawn Lancaster said...

It's lovely NanaC! I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated! The lace is lovely as are the feathers!
Hugs
Dawn xx

*Vicki* said...

Oh I so love this lady!! :) Her fave color is purple like mine!! LOL!! This card is just perfect for her!! LOVE that feather!! ooh la la!!

Diane said...

Beautifully done...gorgeous products used, love the lace and feather!! Thank you for joining us at "The Sisterhood" for our "YOUR Favorite Color" challenge!!
Diane TSH DT

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

BEAUTIFUL creation Connie! Love the added feather ... great touch! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘YOUR FAVORITE COLOR’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

jimlynn said...

Connie, I don't think you could have made a more perfect card for that family. So beautiful and I know there will be tears in their eyes after seeing it. Gorgeous!

I'll be leaving in the morning too and won't be back til Wednesday. Have a safe trip - and so will I.

Lynn

Diane MoneyGoolsby said...

Hi again, NC: This entry is a BEAUTY too, and I think you captured their Aunt beautifully. One of my favorites verses too.

Hugs,
Diane

Teresa Arsenault said...

Beautiful and elegant.

Amanda R said...

I not only love your card but the thought process behind it. I am sure they are thrilled with it!

Avril Ann said...

WOW, Connie, what a wonderful creation, and the sentiment is beautiful, I am sure this birthday lady will love and treasure this card...hugs xxx

Jo said...

Fabulous, NanaConnie.....it's sure to be much appreciated!
hugs Jo x

Benzi said...

I think you captured this lady very well, Connie. I love that lace. And, what a wonderful verse. I think this card will be a treasure for the family.

Terri's Cards N' More said...

Such an elegant card. The purple feather really pops and the lace gives it that vintage feel. Thanks for playing along with the Sisterhood's "Favorite Color" challenge.

Linda Simpson said...

Fabulous card and my kind of card too! Enjoy your trip and safe journey.
Much love
Linda xxx

Helen said...

Beautiful - I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Thanks for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge.

Helen N x

Karen Letchworth said...

This is lovely, Connie; and a VERY comforting scripture for sure. THanks so much for sharing your talents with us. By entering our challenge, you're eligible to visit Heather's blog (link is under her art sample) and comment to win her give-away.
THanks so much for sharing with us.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Joann Burton said...

Wonderful Connie and how nice that they would contact you for a card. They got in touch with the right person. This is so nice and I am sure they will enjoy it with thoughts of her...joann sassy raggedy

sue k said...

Beautiful card, the lace is stunning. Thank you for joining us this week at HIMCR.

Sue - HIMCR DT
http://suek86401.blogspot.com/

Davi said...

Really beautiful NC! I love the dotted embossing with the lace and scripture :) The feather is the perfect touch!

Angie said...

Oh! I love this fancy card!!!! Pretty lace, pearls and feather to top it all off!

Angie said...

Oops! I forgot to say....Thanks for playing along with Speedy Fox & Friends! :)

cotnob said...

This is a brilliant card, it sounds like it is perfect, I'm sure it will be much appreciated.
Thank you for joining us at Di's Digi Designs, make sure you pop over and check out our new challenge.
Pauline
x

Donna Ellis said...

How pretty, Connie! Your friend will be so happy! love the colors, and dry embossing the white background always looks so elegant! hugs, de

Glenda Atkins said...

Sounds like she must of been a fabulous old gal and love how your card incorporated her families favourite recollections of her,just a fantastic card!
hugs
Glenda

Laurian said...

Fabulous project!

Thanks for joining us at Penny's Paper Crafty and I hope you'll be back soon!

Hugz

Laurian