Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Soft Bouquet

     I had so much fun coloring up this wonderful image from A Creative Need, mostly because I let my imagination just flow instead of starting with something already in mind.  Let me show you the card first, and then I'll explain why it's different from anything I've done before.


I started with colors from Allsorts --
White, Gold, plus one more.

     After I printed the image, I reached for my chalks -- the ones that are shaped like used crayons, not the powdery cakes I use with cotton swabs.  There is a sparkly gold in my chalks that I dearly love but it usually only gets out of the box for Christmas cards. In this case, I used it on the centers of the lily petals.  Unfortunately, the sparkle doesn't show but it is really subtle.  Then I chose other chalks for the roses and leaves.  The entire bouquet had a nice, summery, pastel look but it kind of faded into the white background.

     It took a few minutes of thinking before I grabbed a medium gray ProMarker and shaded all around the bouquet.  POP!  The fade-out was done.  I've never combined chalks and marker in that way before but I will again, you can be sure.  I die cut the image and then used a second die to cut a frame for it.  I decided on black for the frame because it helped define the image piece, but also because I had a scrap piece of that black sitting on my desk and thought I'd use it up.  Actually, now that I think of it, I used scraps for everything, even the piece on which I printed the image.  Once I had the black frame, I knew it needed to be on a light colored card front.

     I adhered the image to the card, and then laid it down on the desk to play with embellishment arrangements but nothing I tried really worked.  Suddenly I realized that this card was already finished without any embellishments at all.  The fancy die cut frames were enough.  :-D  How's that for CAS that looks a bit vintage or shabby chic?

     Challenges:
4 Krafty Girlz -- A/G
A Creative Need -- A/G
Chalk N Stock -- A/G
Craft for the Craic --Something summery or w/ flowers
Craftitude -- Flowers or lace
Crafty Catz --2 different dies
Docerela Creations -- A/G
Hiding in My Craft Room -- Scraps
Moving Along with the Times -- CAS
Paper Crafting Journey -- A/G
Sister Act -- A/G
Stampin' with the Dragon -- CAS
Sweet Stampin' -- Say it with flowers

     I hope your week is going well.  I have a couple more scheduled posts and then will return, live and in color!  My eternal thanks to the lady who's linking things up for me.  You know who you are, sweetie.  :-D  Happy Stamping to all of you.  NanaConnie

21 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Very lovely card, Connie. I really like the grey fade out. Have a wonderful day.

acreativeneed said...

So pretty!! I love the chalk and shading with marker! Great idea. The delicate die cut framing is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing with us at A Creative Need Connie. So wonderful to see my image on your creation!!

jimlynn said...

No embellishments needed at all on this. I love the chalk and marker combo too. A beautiful card!
Lynn

Linda Simpson said...

This card needs no embellishments Connie the dies and gorgeous flowers make this a stunning card!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Mad Moose said...

Gorgeous card. Thanks for sharing it with us this week at Crafty Catz. Naomi x

Dawn Lancaster said...

Another stunner NanaC!
Love he colours & the black frame!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Gwyneth said...

What a lovely card.
Thank you very much for entering the "Stampin' with the Dragon" "Clean & Simple" challenge this month. Good luck.
Gwyneth DT

Teresa Arsenault said...

Lovely, elegant design. The white on black really pops.
hugs,
Teresa

Avril Ann said...

Stunning and elegant, NC, love how you have coloured the image, so soft, hugs xxx

Janice said...

Wonderful colouring and a super card. Love your image choice and those super dies. Thanks for playing at MAWTT, Jx

Wendy L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lil Green Bug said...

I love this card, and the coloring. Thanks for joining us over at HIMCR for the challenge.
Lisa
ljcreation.blogspot.com
HIMCR DT

Glenda Atkins said...

Must say it doesn't need ant embellishments, fabulous card!
hugs
Glenda

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Very pretty! Great frame! Thanks for joining us over at Docerela Creations! DT Member Carri~Abusybee
Skittles!

mixamatoasties said...

Great card.

Thanks for sharing at Sweet Stampin'

Susan

Sammy said...

So lovely! Thank you for joining us at Sweet Stampin' this week. Sammy-x

NormaJean said...

Very Pretty Card!!
Thank you for joining us at Craftitude
Hugs DT Norma Jean

Sharon said...

Embellishments would take away from your gorgeous image!
Thanks for sharing it with us at Crafty Girls xx

Sylvie Sims said...

A wonderful creation. Thank you for joining us this month. Sylvie, Craft for the Craic DT

Angela said...

Lovely Lilies and ideal for Summery / flowery theme.

Thanks for taking part in the Craft for the Craic challenge with us.

Michelle said...

Lovely card :-) Thanks for joining us this month at Craft for the Craic :-)
Michelle CFTC DT