Monday, May 26, 2014

Gardening Girl

     Two things came together at just the right moment to inspire this card -- a freebie digi from the artbymiran  FB page and a sketch I wanted to try.  I was also in the mood for a monochromatic card so her hair is green.

     Which reminds me of the summer I was about 8 or 9 years old.  That was the summer I learned to swim.  At the time, my hair was strawberry blond and I spent so much time in the city pool that my hair actually turned green from all the chlorine in the water.  When I went back to school, all the kids and even the teacher commented on my green hair.  About a month into the school year, our teacher (a lady with a sense of humor) was excusing kids from the classroom to go to the auditorium for an assembly.  She was dismissing us a few at a time by saying things like, "Any of you who have turtles on your socks may go."  "Anyone with orange eyes may go."  Later she would get to real things like blue shirts or brown shoes but she always started with silly things nobody would have.  About the third silly thing she said was "Anyone with green hair may go."  I got up and left the room while everyone laughed, including my teacher!


The sketch is from Sketch Saturday.


     I colored the image totally with Copics (boy, did I miss the ultra fine nibs on my Pro-Markers when I was doing the hair!), then die cut it with a die from Spellbinders.  I added distress ink to the edges of it.  The two papers are from Colorbok and both were scraps lying on my table from another project.  One of them is die cut with a new Marianne's die.  The flag banner piece is embossed with a SU folder and it was also a scrap on my desk.

     I added twine, a flower made from ribbon, and several mulberry paper flowers.  I added pearls to all the flowers.

     Challenges:
ABC Challenge -- L for layers
artbymiran -- A/G
Bastel-traum -- Summer
Crafty Calendar -- Sunshine and showers
Crafty Catz -- Embossing
Digi Haven -- Spring has sprung
Dragonfly Dreams -- How does your garden grow?
Feeling Crafty -- 1 for girls
Kreativeinkauf -- In my garden
Our Creative Corner -- Left overs
Outlawz Alcohol Markers -- 1 colored image, 2 dp, 3 embellies (twine, flowers, pearls)
Outlawz PAM -- A/G
Sparkles Forum -- Special lady

     What fun I had making this card.  Hope you're all enjoying the Memorial Day Holiday.  Let's not forget the reason for the day -- say thanks to a Veteran or to the family of a vet who gave his all for his country.  Is your flag flying today?  Happy Stamping.  NanaConnie

28 comments:

  1. OH Bless, Connie, I am having a chuckle here, LOL..love this card and the Green Hair, of course, brilliant as always hun, hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something in common, you and I. I also had green hair at one time from the pool. LOL Darling card and I loved the story about your teacher. Have a fun day today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card NanaConnie and loved the story just as much! Hope you're well, my lovely crafting friend & having a great weekend!
    hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute!!! LOVING the shades of green!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi NC, I think your card is brilliant. The image is super cute and I love to do Monochromatic themed cards in shades of green, so you have my vote for this card.
    Janet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous interpretation of the sketch. She looks fabulous with green hair! Beautiful embellishments too!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely card, thanks for playing along with us at CRAFTY CATZ this week x carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh NC, so cute and precious, just love the composition and great take on the sketch. Beautifully colored. Nicely done on the hair
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. TOO fun and cute! Love the green hair on her too. I remember those days of staying in the pool too long and having my hair turn funny shades too.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute card..
    Thanks for sharing with us at CraftyCatz this week..x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous card and what a great story. You must have been a confident little girl to take all of that teasing with a mature sense of humour.

    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Connie, loved reading your story :)Your card is lovely and your colouring as always is great and the sentiment is perfect. Thank you for sharing with us at Dragonfly Dreams, hope we see you again soon...
    Love and Hugs ~ Lady Anne xx
    Dragonfly Dreams
    "Anne's Paper Dream's Blog"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Green hair?! Oh you were a rebel back in the days! Adorable card, NC.
    hugs, Asha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful card! Love the sweet expression on her face- and the green hair! Oh I was a big swimmer- always had green hair in the summer! Nowadays, they have shampoo to get the chlorine out.....Your story about the teacher is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice mono card. I love this image so glad I was able to pick it up on FB. Wonderful job I love the green hair. She would fit in perfectly around here, lol...Hugs, joann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it NanaC! I love her green hair & you've done a great job on it!
    Great take on the sketch too!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooh this is so cute and she looks gorgeous in green, thanks for joining us at Art by Mi Ran. Joey x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute image, lovely design and colouring! Love the flowers!
    hugs
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a gorgeous card! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Our Creative Corner! Love from Laura xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super card, love her green hair, thanks for joining us at Digi Haven xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet card Connie! Fun story. Thank you so much for joining us this week at Sketch Saturday! ~Deb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another really cute image. Great flowers. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  23. So nice to know I wasn't the only girl that had green hair for a while, lol!
    Lovely card and she looks great with green hair!

    Thanks for joining us at Dragonfly Dreams and I hope you come back soon!

    Hugz

    Laurian
    Owner Dragonfly Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is lovely and perfect for our 'Celebrate Mom' challenge at Sparkles Monthly Challenges. I'm having my hair coloured this afternoon...maybe I should go green :)

    Hugs Helen P(DT) xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. A great way to use up your scraps. Lovely colouring too. Thanks so much for joining us at Our Creative Corner. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great monochromatic card and I loved your story about your green hair! I too have had green hair, but it was out of choice in my rock chick stage as a teenager! LOL Thank you for joining in the Sketch Saturday Challenge this week.

    Hugs, Vannessa
    Sketch Saturday DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just beautiful love the image. Thank you for joining us this time at Crafty Calendar
    Bettyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a nice card! I like the different shades of green in combination with brown!
    Thanks for sharing your card at Bastel-Traum!

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment and I so much appreciate the encouragement you give me. Thank you for taking the time to comment.