Saturday, March 10, 2012

Irish Happiness to All

    Two cards again today and both of these use images from Dude Time Doodles, where the color challenge has an inspiration photo with various shades of green.  Well, when one is Irish and has a St. Patrick's Day birthday, 'green' means only one thing!  :-D   The image on this first card is Shamus Shamrock.


Sketch is from Sassy Cheryl's.


     Believe it or not, his pants and vest are paper pieced.  Unfortunately, the camera flash wiped out the subtle tone-on-tone shamrocks that are in the patterned paper.  :-(  The rest of Shamus is colored with Copics and a dash of gel pen.

     The dp strips are from my stash and I found the buttons in my sewing room stash, no doubt left over from making granddaughter dresses some years back.  They certainly were a perfect color for this card.  The sentiment is printed from my computer and everything is matted with black CS.

     Challenges for this first card:
Anything Goes Challenge -- Boys to men
Corrosive Challenges -- paper piecing and green
Craft Your Passion -- Anything goes
Crafting for All Seasons -- Green and Yellow
Create Me Pink -- Spring and buttons
Creative Craft -- Boys will be boys (and dance an Irish jig when they've imbibed too much!)
Critter Sketch -- Buttons
Going Grey with Scrap Creations -- St. Patrick's
Outlawz Greeting Card -- I Spy Something Green
Paper and Such Design -- Paper Piecing
Pixie Dust Studio -- Show Us Your Irish
Sentimental Sundays -- Words of Encouragement
Simpy Create Too -- I'm So Lucky
Stamp and Create -- Paper Piecing

     This second card uses another Dude Time digi, called Father Flanagan, one of the new releases over there.  I added the shamrock to his frock just for this card.  :-D


The sketch comes from my favorite Sketchy Thursday place, Eat, Sleep, Stamp.  I figured Tracy must be ready for another Dude Time card because I haven't done one in a while.  Right, Tracy?  :-D 


Sketch 163

     You all know by now that I love Tracy's sketches (and thank you all for supporting ESS on Sketchy Thursdays -- I'd be so sad to see it stop because of low turn out!) and can't wait from one Thursday to the next.  But, this week she threw me a curve.  You see, I had Father Flanagan all colored up by Wednesday evening and was just waiting for the sketch to be posted on Thursday morning.  I figured I could die cut him into whatever shape was needed and put the card together rather quickly because I wanted a CAS design for this masculine card.  Hmmmm, two circles, neither of them large enough to die cut the image without cutting off either his head or his arms.  So, I had to stew about it for a day or so before I could figure out what to do.

     My solution involved fussy cutting Father Flanagan and adhering him in an "out of the box" style to a black hexagon.  A second, slightly smaller hexagon for the sentiment and another black one to mat it, and I had my 2 'circles.'  Neat challenge, and I loved working it out in my mind.  I added the twine and cord for masculine embellishment, and called it done.  I only need a couple more St. Pat's cards for family and friends and can get them all in the mail on Monday.

     Challenges for this card:
Catch the Bug -- Humor
Divas by Design -- Favorite things (die cuts, CAS)
Hybrid Chicks -- Lucky green
Inky Impressions -- Luck/green
My Grafico -- St. Patrick's
Papercraft Star -- St. Patrick's/Luck
Paper Pretties -- masculine
Phindy's Place -- monochrome green
Pink Elephant -- Layers (at least 3)
Raise the Bar -- Go Green

     Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy every moment.  You only pass this way once and you should spend it in joy at the Creator's world around you.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

36 comments:

Donna Hanley said...

Connie, Two great cards. Fabulous Paper piecing and I love the out of the box technique you used on your second card. Enjoy your weekend.

Tammy said...

Fabulous St. Patrick's Day cards Connie! I love them both and I especially like the good father's shamrock! Thanks for joining this week's challenge at Dude Time Doodles!

Linda said...

WOW Connie these cards are fabulous. Loving the different greens you have used and of course the DTD images are fabulous.

Hugs
Linda xxxx

Kerry said...

Love both your cards. Loving all the green. Thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions.
Kerry

Anne Temple said...

Both cards are fantastic! Love how you worked Father Flanagan to fit your needs. Great sentiment too. So glad you joined us at Dude Time Doodles this week.

Sassy Cheryl said...

Both are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!! Love the Irish! Images are wonderful and your coloring is amazing.
Thanks for playing in the Sketch Time challenge with the Sassy DT this week at Sassy Cheryl's. So glad you could join us! Good luck in the drawing for the FREE images!

Shona Erlenborn said...

What a couple of great images for St. Patrick's Day. Love what you did with both images!

Michelle said...

Love that green what you used.
Thank you for playing with us at Craft your Passion.
LG Michelle

Gaynor said...

What Lovely cards, I'm loving Shamus, thanks for joining our Boyz to Men challenge at Anything Goes, hope to see you again, Gaynor :) xx

McCrafty's Cards said...

Both cards are fabulous Connie, Thanks for joining in with us at Dudetime Doodles this week.
Kevin xx

jimlynn said...

Two cool looking dudes!!! Love both of them Connie!
Lynn

Sylvia said...

Two very unique cards, Connie, I like the stamping on the second card. Thanks for joining us for the Papercraft Star lucky challenge.

Victoria said...

What fantastic cards! I'm beaming now!

Aunty Sue said...

Both fab fun cards thanks for popPing by mine

Nikbee said...

Wonderful cards.
Thank you for joining us at Creative Craft.
Nikki x

scrap joanny said...

so fun image :-) thank so much for playing with craftyourpassionchallenges - hugs Joanna

wahixane77 said...

Too very fun cards! Thanks for joining us at Sentimental Sundays. Olivia

Sharon said...

Oh wow what fabulous cards and I just love the Dude Time Doodles images you have used! Thankd for joining this week at DTD - Sharon Guest DT.

Cheryl First said...

LOL! Oh my....that Irish drinking priest is a hoot!
Thanks for joining in at catch the Bug's Humor Challenge this week!
((HUGS))
Cheryl
DT Member for Bugaboo Stamps

Scraps2treasure said...

Beautiful job on your challenge cad FAB!!!

Be sure to join us for our next challenge at Whimiscal Designs

DT Monica - Whimisical Designs Team
http://alwaysforever.ning.com/
http://scraps2treasure.blogspot.com/

Dawn said...

Two fantastic cards NanaConnie! I love them both! Great work as always!
Thanks for linking up to Dude Time Doodles this week!
Good Luck
Hugs
Dawn xxx

Jacq said...

Hi,
A Fabulous creation!!! Love the Leprechaun image, the colour scheme is just perfect. Love the layout and the embellishments. Thanks for joining us at Critter Sketch and Good Luck. Hope to see you joining us again.
Hugs Jacqui xxx

Joey said...

Lovely fun card and such a great image, thanks for joining us at Inky Impressions. Joey x

Janne said...

Cute card! Thanks for playing along with us at Sentimental sundays!
Hugs, Janne

Caroline said...

Fantastic card!!! Thanks for joining in with our Humour challenge at the Creative Card Crew. Hope you will join us again next time.

Caroline x

Beverley said...

Fab cards. Thanks for joining us at Creative Craft Challenge.
Bev x

Craftyanny said...

Cute as a button, a smashing card
Thanks for playing along with Inky Impressions and good luck
Anne x

jkreucher said...

Both cards are wonderful. love all the green shades! Awesome cards!
thanks for joining us for the Sassy Cheryl sketch challenge this week!
Judy

Glenda Atkins said...

Connie, fabulous job on both cards, loving all the green!

Carrie said...

what a great card - Thanks for playing at Inky impressions this week xx

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

I LOVE BOTH of them. And, yes, i like your thinking "outside the box" with the black hexagon. Got my morning chuckle.

Tracy said...

You must have been reading my mind! Was definitely thinking it was time for my Dude Time fix!!! And just in time for St. Paddy's Day! As usual this image cracks me up. He looks so 'official' and all then you read the sentiment! LOL!!! I think he looks perfect too with this sketch. Thank you for keeping Sketchy Thursdays alive!
Hugs,
Tracy

mum of two said...

Both of your cards are fabulous. I need to start doing more sketches. Thanks for playing with us this week at Whimsical Wednesdays. Hope to see you back again soon :)

michelle
http://mumoftwoblog.blogspot.com

ursula Uphof said...

Really great Irish cards. Thank you for playing with us at DS4J. Ursula

DianeMoneyGoolsby said...

Connie: Your cards are both wonderful--I love the cute images. Thank You for visiting us and entering our new challenge, Challenge #8 "I'm SssOooo Lucky!" Come back tomorrow to see our new challenge--I think you'll like it!

Diane
Simply Create Too Design Team Member
http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com/

Charlene said...

Both of your cards are fabulous! Great job coloring Shamus and Father Flannigan. You did an incredible job with your paper piecing...I didn't even realize that it had been done. Thanks for joining us at Digistamps4Joy Challenge #38...good luck ~ Charlene DS4J DT